Sunday, May 2, 2010

Two Historic Churches 283/365



Neighbors, the First Presbyterian Church and the First Baptist Church sit next to each other in downtown Phoenix.  One continues to have a healthy congregation, the other is on the endangered list.  Both are listed on the National Registry of Historic Places and the City of Phoenix Historic Preservation Registry.  The church in the foreground is the First Presbyterian, the church in the background is the First Baptist.  For closeup pictures of each church and a short history, please go to my extra photos blog HERE.

COMMENTS from May 1:
Magpie:  I haven't been to a race in probably 20 years!  They are fun, though, from what I remember.

Michelle:  Racing here in Arizona this season runs September 2 through May 2 (so today was the end of the season).  It's just too hot to run the horses in the summer.  I didn't go to the races yesterday.  The Derby was live simulcast in addition to the nine races that are usually run at Paradise.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The size of the palm trees was the first thing that caught my attention!

Maia T said...

Nice photo with a beautiful street scene and historical buildings.

Mari said...

They are both wonderful old buildings. I love the palm trees too!

Magpie said...

Great shot, Kathy. I agree - I like the palm trees. I wonder how long they've been growing in that little patch of ground.

fredamans said...

Very nice! I used the apse of a church for one of my memes today;

http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2010/05/moody-high.html

Tracy said...

I like the composition in this, and it's so nice to see the Baptists and the Presbyterians co-existing! :-)