Friday, May 28, 2010
John Sedler House 309/365
John Sedler was born in Austria in approximately 1870, immigrated to the U.S. and became a naturalized U.S. citizen in 1896. He and his wife Mary built their home on five acres looking out on alfalfa fields in 1912, the year Arizona became a state. He was a merchant, owner of the Owl Drugstore or the Owl Saloon, depending upon the era. An advertisement for his business in 1912 in the Arizona Republican bragged of “free motorcycle delivery.”
The house has been described as a combination of Craftsman and the American Foursquare style and alternatively labeled as a blending of Colonial and Mission with Bungalow. The Sedlers actually utilized a solar hot water system which can be seen in a photograph taken of the house in 1929. John died in 1917 but Mary continued to live in the home until 1948. She died in 1957.
The house is now known as Alwun House, the area’s first alternative contemporary art gallery established 30 years ago. Its artistic endeavors have expanded into other areas of the arts, including stage productions venued in the back yard gardens of the house.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
My husband went to Arizona area and told me about the earth colour of buildings.
I have an Austrian student, and he teaches me German.
Another beautiful place! I would love to go through it!
It's lovely...the color is so serene.
Hope you have a great weekend!!
I'm amazed that a solar hot water system was used a century ago...but you are in Arizona where the sun shines and shines and shines. :) The idea has taken a while to catch on though!
Interesting...I can see the craftsman. I never heard of American Foursquare style. I also like that gnarly tree on the right. :)
Post a Comment