Saturday, May 15, 2010

Grace Lutheran Church 296/365




Grace Lutheran Church is the oldest church of the Lutheran denomination in Phoenix.  Its architectural style is a classic American Gothic Revival.  It was built between 1928 and 1929 at a cost of $48,000 (and no,that is not a typo!).  The architecture features a cruciform plan (cross-like shape,) stained glass windows, buttressed walls, clerestories (vertical windows set high in the walls), unmatched towers and a gabled roof.  I love the shadow cast by the large palm tree in front of the church in the early morning sun.

7 comments:

Teresa Bitler said...

Neat photo, and I didn't know it was the oldest Lutheran church. What denomination is it? Missouri Synod? Wisconsin? Where is it located?

Tracy said...

This is a beautiful church! Where is it located? $48,000! I bet that was a fortune back then.

Magpie said...

The lighting and sky are beautiful in this picture. I love it!

fredamans said...

Beautiful shot. Love the shadow!

Maia T said...

Postcard perfect photo, such clarity.
Beautiful composition and light/shadow play.

SandyCarlson said...

Such clean, beautiful lines and beautiful light!

EG CameraGirl said...

It's a stunning building!