Thursday, March 25, 2010

An Unusual Pair 245/365



And what does a rose have to do with salad dressing, you say?  I just paired these two items to give you some perspective on the size of this rose.  This is straight out of the camera with the two items being side by side and from straight forward with no angle to give weight to either object.

I actually posted a picture of this rose yesterday on my extra photos blog.  There is a house across the street from mine that was abandoned by its owner more than a year ago.  At one time it had beautiful roses but for the past year they have not been picked, pruned, or watered.  Still occasionally a beautiful rose appears, so after taking the picture I went back home, got a pair of scissors and cut it.  Why not.  It's just going to dry up and fall off.  If I had time I would go over and prune the bushes because right now the flowers are growing on stems that have multiple angles to them.  After putting it in a vase with water and admiring it several times throughout the evening and this morning, later this afternoon I noticed that it had opened so much that it literally is the size of a small saucer.  I kept looking for something to pair with it to give some perspective to its size.  I tried a box of cake mix, a can of tomatoes, a can of soup, a bottle of ketchup, a jar of mayonnaise, a coffee mug, and finally settled on a bottle of salad dressing!

7 comments:

Magpie said...

You are so fun!! I love how your mind works. Yes, this is a gorgeous rose and would have gone to waste had you not rescued it. Does it smell as sweet as it looks?

Mari said...

What a huge rose! I love it and the way you showed the size.

Tracy said...

Wow, that is a gorgeous flower. I have a house across the street from me that was abandoned about a year ago and I "rescued" two (of the four) stepping stones that kids hadn't managed to break yet.

My Vagabond Heart said...

That is a beautiful rose. I never would have thought to make the comparison.

EG CameraGirl said...

It sure is a BIG rose!

Unknown said...

Perspective is great and I love that they are color-coordinated!

Pat's Addition said...

I'd go back and prune those bushes.