Saturday, March 27, 2010
Desert Wildflowers 247/365
I found another house near my neighborhood which has planted wildflowers throughout their front yard. Some of these plants were three feet tall. Judging by the gravel walkways and the cacti and other succulents, I'm going to venture to say that after the wildflowers are spent this home has a desert landscaped yard. I'm planning to go back by in the summer to see the landscaping. My grass is full of weeds this spring because of the winter rains and I'm wondering if I sowed wildflowers next fall/winter if their growth might prohibit the spring weeds.
If you will notice over the area of the windows you will see what appear to be strings. That's exactly what they are and red sweet peas were already climbing the strings. They are just not tall enough to be visible at this point. In front of the sweet peas are two huge clumps of iris each sporting 25 or more blooms, one a pale blue and the other a champagne color. You can see the champagne iris in the far right behind the wildflowers. Try clicking on the picture to enlarge for those details.
To see other examples of wildflowers which are in bloom in our desert right now, CLICK HERE.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
What a beautiful riot of color!! My sweet peas are up and blooming but they're only purple!!! Maybe because they know I love purple so much??
Happy Weekend!!
I bet this yard is indeed a desert garden in the summer. That sounds sensible to me in your climate. :)
That's beautiful.. just as everything is starting to grow here now in spring- you have gardens in full bloom - lovely!
You've given me a whole new appreciation for the beauty of the desert!
I love this. My husband and I aren't into yard work and gardening much. I've always wanted to do a wildflower front yard. People I've mentioned it to think I'm nuts. Glad to know I'm not the only one with the idea :-)
I want to live there. It will be interesting to see the same yard this summer. I bet this one REALLY enjoyed the rain this winter.
i think that's my dream front yard - wow! awesome and beautiful!
Wow, sweet peas in Phoenix! How optimistic! I guess if you get them going early enough, they will be happy, especially if protected from the afternoon sun. You know, planting wildflower seeds is good, but this looks pretty carefully orchestrated, with the masses of lupines in front, and not sure what the spiky reddish ones are. Why don't you ask the person what they did to get this great effect?
Their front yard is gorgeous! What a great idea for arid regions-- to plant wildflowers! Beautiful!
This is exactly how I would like my back yard to look! Hi! I stopped by Magpie's blog and saw that she gave a shout out to your blog and thought I would stop by and have a look! I love all the flowers! And yes, wildflowers make great weed controllers. Can you grow phlox out there? It's low ground cover and weeds just can't compete! Have a good week!
These are just wonderful. So rich and abundant!
Post a Comment