Monday, March 15, 2010
Desert Wildflowers 235/365
I passed by this home just driving through an historic neighborhood and the direction I was going did not allow any parking on the street, although the opposite direction did. Most of the streets in the older neighborhoods of Phoenix are too narrow to allow street parking on both sides of the street. I promptly went around a couple of blocks and headed back from the other direction so I could look more closely at the wildflowers which completely covered the entirety of this home's front yard. There seemed to be a landscaping thought in mind (some people just willy-nilly throw out seeds) because there were walkways, large boulders and a fair amount of cacti and other succulents all critically placed with the wildflowers growing around them . The yellow flowers are California poppies, the blue ones are either desert larkspur or salvia and I believe the tall red ones in the center back are penstemon. Maybe Magpie can correct me if I'm wrong because she had a post last week where she identified a great number of our wildflowers in the Desert Southwest. Try clicking on the picture for a larger and more detailed view.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
The desert flowers are lovely!
It is a beautiful garden, you took a great photo. I remember the California Poppies from my vacation towards the end of last year. They were one of my favorite flowers to photograph on that trip.
Kathy, this is gorgeous. And what a trooper to go around a couple blocks to get back to this yard. I'm always saying to someone, "Can you turn around?"
I think you got all the flowers perfectly. Believe me, I only knew mine because I had a paper from the park to look at. :)
I'm headed up the Waterfall Trail again tomorrow with my daughter and grandson. The wildflowers should be going "wild" by now. :)
The poppies are in full bloom here. It is amazing how they make a dry landscape pop!
Very pretty! The house looks like it could be pretty sweet, too!
Post a Comment