Sunday, April 22, 2012

Old Maricopa County, Arizona, Courthouse ~ Phoenix, AZ


It's been a trying two days with some family conflicts, the kind that leave you exhausted.  That's the way I feel right now.  This picture was originally scheduled to go on MY OTHER BLOG and the one that appears there was to have been here.  But by the time I realized the mistake I made, I didn't have the energy to fix it, so there you have it.

But this old courthouse, which is still in use for some county offices, although the interior was pretty dreary the last time I went inside, is one of my favorite buildings in downtown Phoenix.  The new courthouse facility has no character, is just concrete and glass.  I think justice was just dispensed better when the architecture was better.  I love courthouses and I've been mapping out a couple of short road trips to visit some of the more beautiful ones in Texas.  There are 254 counties in this state, and I figured I've already photo'd 17 of the more historic courthouses.  I only have 78 more to go!  The 159 remaining are just too darned ugly or without any character so I will leave them to someone else! 

13 comments:

Kate said...

I agree that this one definitely has character. Looks like the sun is shining on the facade.

Yup, families can be exhausting at times!

Mari said...

You find the best buildings! I'm sorry about the family drama though!

TexWisGirl said...

really like the lighting on the brick/stone. so beautiful!

i'm sorry for the family angst...

Magpie said...

I agree this is a building with character and your photo makes it look all that much better.

Hang in there. Life will turn around.

Paula said...

A beautiful courthouse!

Jo's World said...

I love it that you think justice is better served in a classier courthouse. I'll agree with you because I like the old ones better, too. This is a great pic of the old courthouse.

Sorry for your trouble!

Cheers,
Jo, Stella and Zkhat

MadSnapper n Beau said...

i was married in the historical courthouse here 27 years ago and it has been there long before i was born. they built a new one next door. it is hideous, a tall ugly box no personality at all, not even a pretty tall box. this one is beautiful, i love the sun bathing it and making it golden.

Judy said...

This is a beautiful picture of the old building and like you, I think it is one of the most eye pleasing buildings in downtown Phoenix.
I hope your week improves.

Michelle said...

Hey Kathy! Thanks for stopping by and saying hi. I just gripped through and caught up with both of your blogs. Your photos (and captions) always make me smile. :)

Anonymous said...

This one is sure beautiful! Hope things are looking up for you.

Randy said...

I love this building. The light is perfect on it too.

Pia said...

Hope you recovered from your stress Kathy!
I could never manage two blogs....

EG CameraGirl said...

I like the light in this photo. The colours look so rich.