Mexican food differs from region to region, not only in Mexico but in the Southwestern states. I have had a difficult time finding what I consider "good" Mexican food since coming to Texas a couple years ago. I had, after all, been living the past 40 years in Arizona and had acquired a taste for the cuisine of the Sonoran region. A shopping trip to Tyler recently though proved tasty when I lunched at the Mercado. From what I can determine it is not part of a chain and should not be confused with Mercado Juarez or Viva Mercado's. One thing I have found in the Tex-Mex restaurants is something they call sour cream sauce that they pour over most anything and everything. Don't be fooled. It's not sour cream! It may have sour cream in it but it's not sour cream. Also some dishes which are traditionally served with guacamole are complemented with guacamole mixed with sour cream and if you want REAL guac, you gotta pay extra for it even though the fake guac may be served with that particular dish. So sorry, fellow Texans, but your Mexican food I can only rate as a 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. If you want the real stuff, you must go to New Mexico or Arizona.
But as far as restaurant ambiance and service goes, the Mercado easily ranks a 9.5 out of 10!



15 comments:
Here, here! I couldn't agree more. I have yet to find Mexican food in Texas to my liking. I'm glad you found a spot where you savor the taste you are fond of, even if you have to drive all the way to Tyler.
I never really thought about it, but I guess Mexico is a big country and the cuisine would change from area to area. I'm glad I get to enjoy the Sonoran kind!
Oh, I forgot to say that I love the mural on the restaurant wall.
Maybe the scenic Mercado will read your blog and look for a new chef!
Cheers!
Jo, Stella and Zkhat
When my daughters come from the Austin/Houston area they head for the mexican food place in San Antonio where we traded in their younger years. Back then it was just a "hole in the wall" and now it's quite nice with a second restaurant on the northside. Frankly I think we have the best out here. We visited with a man from Tyler yesterday working here in the oil field. A very nice and interesting man to talk to.
i love the art in the place, but i don't eat mexican food, i don't like anything hot or spicy. unless tacos count, i do like them. but the resturant is beautiful.
To me, the Mexican food in NM is the very best. I'm heading to Santa Fe, next week and already thinking green...as in green chili!!! :>
I guess your tastes have been spoiled by the real thing. I wonder if I;d recognize the real thing if I ate it. Hmmm. Do you cook Mexican dishes or just eat it when you go out?
funny, but i don't care for real mexican fare as much as i appreciate tex mex. guess it's because that's what i was first introduced to when moving from Wis. to Dallas area. :)
I love all the great colors. Nice reflection on the first shot too.
I like these shots. You give us a feel for the place. I agree with you about the Tex-Mex. I was not impressed with the place we went to in Galveston.
I always loved the restaurants when I lived in Texas. Arizona dining is boring as far as ambiance goes compared to them.
Have to agree with you. It's so easy to find lousy Mexican food once you leave the Southwest. Must be the lack of authentic ingredients. The exception has to be California where Mexican markets thrive serving both the latino population and those of us in love with la comida autentica. When we travel east we make a vow to avoid Mexican restaurants due to too many previous disappointments.
Me, again. Why not link to Monday Mural? This would be a fun addition.
I dont´t know their food.... but they can very good decorate their walls!
Post a Comment