Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My Long-Awaited Road Trip


My road trip these past few days took me to the Gulf of Mexico at Galveston Island, Texas.  This seaport community is making a comeback after the devastation of both Hurricane Rita in 2005 and Hurricane Ike in 2008.  It rained all day on our trip down to the coast but the following days gave dramatic beautiful skies and calm seas.  After returning home I was disappointed with my photos but with some extra effort (and some great software programs) I've managed to pull together a few good ones, I think.  I didn't spend as much time planning and composing my photos because I traveled with a nonphotography-loving cousin and I'm always reluctant to ask my traveling companions to wait while I scout out the perfect place to find the photo or to please go around the block one more time so I usually just click and run.


Every pole along the shore, on ferries, and boats is occupied by a seagull.

I was trying out a new 300- mm lens so I took LOTS of pictures of seagulls.  
I hope you don't get tired of them!


And more gulls!


Another disappointment was that I couldn't get quite close enough to take great photos 
of one of my favorite birds, the brown pelican, with my new lens, 
but I still loved watching them fly and dive into the ocean in search of food. 

I call this one Waiting for the Shrimp Boats.

I'll probably be inundating you with photos this week.  
I tend to post the better pictures (at least in my opinion)
if  you're interested in visiting.

17 comments:

Randy said...

Looks like something is in the water in that first shot.

TexWisGirl said...

i like pelicans and seagulls since we don't see them up here. keep 'em coming!

Jim said...

Hi Kathy ~~ I hopped here from you comment at Dianne's 'blue bike(s)' pictures. I love your travel pictures.

Your Galveston was revealing, mostly you got bird pictures. For sure there are a lot of Gulls there. I hope you rode the Bolivar Ferry and if you did the gulls follow it very closely hoping for food being tossed out or little fish beinng churned up.

You should have hollered if you came or went via I-45 and even honked at exit 94, Willis. We live eight miles west.

I also hope you had a poboy while in Galveston. My favorites are oyster, shrimp, crawfish, or catfish in that order.

Jim's Little Blog
Go down to the next few posts. In the next couple of posts I talked about poboys and hushpuppies.
..

Rosemary Aubut said...

Love photos of the ocean and anything ocean related! Beautiful Kathy!

Rosemary Aubut said...

Love photos of the ocean and anything ocean related! Beautiful Kathy!

Michelle said...

I've been to Galveston....it's such a beautiful area. I love the lined up pelicans with just a hint of a boat. That would be pretty turned into a painting. It looks so peaceful, I can almost hear and smell the water!

Keep them coming, Kathy...Can't wait to see more! :)

Judy said...

This brings back happy memories of the time we spent camping at the State Park on Galveston with our granddaughter who lives in Houston. I will be glad to see more photos as we have not been there since the hurricanes struck.

Kate said...

You will have so much fun with your new lens. I don't think you should be reluctant to ask your friends to wait...you just might hook them on a new interest! Really like the gull photos.

Anonymous said...

Ooh a new lens! Do you like it? Does it make a big difference? Also, I love the song "Galveston". Now I will be hearing it in my head all day!

Jo's World said...

I love these sea pictures, too. Like Lifeisaroadtrip, since I began looking at these pics, the old song Galveston has been playing in my mind. Its a nice accompaniment to your shots. The patient brown pelicans were a favorite!

Stella says she is glad someone else is waiting for winter!

Jo, Stella and Zkhat

Magpie said...

The water is so beautiful. I started to say ocean, but decided that might not be correct. I would probably need to say gulf. Whatever...I'll just keep dithering on. :) I smiled at the pelicans!

Judy said...

Wonderful shots Kathy! I love Galveston and my husband and I plan to head back there this coming January.

DeniseinVA said...

These are great shots Kathy. I don't see Pelicans or Seagulls too often and love it when I do.

Sharon said...

Ahhh....ocean breezes, that does look refreshing. I don't think I've seen seagulls with black heads before. Very cute.

Tanna said...

Kathy, I have never been here and can't wait to see more photos. Pelicans are Evan and my favorites when near the water. =) blessings ~ tanna

EG CameraGirl said...

I love seeing the gulls. I don't remember seeing ones with black heads before.

Pia said...

Hi Kathy!

A new lens and a trip to the sea, thats a very good composition! I like your seagull shots.
I can imagine the dilemma to be on tour with a not so camera enthusiastic travel compagnion....

Liebe Grüße,
Pia