Swinging high over the Gulf at the Pleasure Pier.
The Gulf of Mexico is on the east side of Galveston.
Galveston Bay and the Houston Ship Channel are on the western side of the island.
Downtown Galveston in the Strand district.
An old icehouse maybe?
Fishing on a pier with pelicans hanging around hoping for a bite of bait or maybe even to steal your catch!
The Galveston seawall was constructed after the 1900 hurricane for protection from future storms. It was the deadliest hurricane in U.S. history with loss of life estimated to be between 6,000 and 12,000 people. The seawall presently is 10 miles long, 17 feet high, and 16 feet thick at its base. The sidewalk on top of the seawall is 10.3 miles long and is believed to be the longest sidewalk in the world. In 2008 Hurricane Ike again did billions of dollars in damage to the Texas coast. A proposal has been made to build the "Ike Dike," a massive levee system which would protect Galveston Bay and the important industrial facilities which line the coast and the Houston Ship Channel from a future potentially more destructive storm. The proposal has gained widespread support but is currently only at the conceptual stage.
The Colonel is a triple-decker sternwheeler with a 750-passenger capacity.
Moored at Moody Gardens, she is available for day and dinner/dance cruises
as well as private parties of 100 or more.






16 comments:
i like the ice house and the pleasure pier ride. looks like atlantic city. :)
Wow great photos! Especially love the first one! looks like such fun!
I haven't been to the Pleasure Pier yet - waiting for the newness to wear off a bit (& the crowds to thin), but did see it in various stages of being built. Did you see some of the paintings/graffiti on the seawall too? In September Disney will be sailing out of the cruise terminal - come back down & see the ships.
Thank you for those nice Galveston pictures, Kathy. I loved them! We have not been back to Galveston for several years. Our three-year-old granddaughter and her parents are visiting us from London, coming at 1:30 today. We will have to visit the beach there.
Thank you also for peeking in on my porta-pottie picture and enduring this messy post.
I use Word verification because a ROBOT has been leaving nasty posts, about six a day on my blog, old ones and new ones. They never posted but show up in my e-mail. All of the older ones I use comment moderations so I could catch them. In September I will remove the word verification to see if HE is gone.
If I ever caught him I would dunk HIS head in one of those porta-potties.
..
Your top photo is my favorite one here. Beautifully composed and so full of color. Having grown up on the Mississippi River, the sternwheeler is a familiar sight but, they are getting fewer and fewer all the time.
The Pleasure Pier is new to me and I don't remember the stern wheeler either but I do remember that I loved Moody Gardens.
Such a nice snapshot of Galveston life. I wonder if that stern wheeler is used for weddings? What a venue!
Great photos, Kathy! The first shot is so bright and colorful. Your last shot is a beauty also.
Great shots Kathy. That first shot is so vibrant and fun. Makes me wish the fair was here again.
Oh, those sneaky pelicans. They sit there so nonchalantly like they just stopped for a smoke or something.
Looks like a great place to visit.
Wonderful pictures, Kathy, both today and yesterday. It looks like a place I would like to visit.
Cheers,
Jo
Great photos! Makes me want to hop on a plane and visit Galveston.
How did I miss this? Great shots. Another place to add to my list. If we don't make it to all the places on our lists, at least we get to see them, thanks to each other and the internet!
The light is lovely in these shots I remember hearing about the storm that hit Galveston a few years ago. I don't think I'd feel comfortable living there but I's sure like to visit!
Thank you Kathy for taking me along to Galveston! I like the painting with the icebear and would love to be passenger on this beautyful sternwheeler.
Liebe Grüße,
Pia
Post a Comment