Monday, July 2, 2012
Duck House to Manor House: A Road Trip Adventure
Last Friday I traveled with a friend (lady in the red shirt) 120 miles (almost to Dallas!) to pick up a floating duck house. It seems the ducks on her pond are falling victim to a mother fox and her two kits. Roast duck, what with our Texas temps these days, must be pretty tasty. She has been contemplating one of these duck houses for a couple years and finally took the plunge (no pun intended). We trailered it home safely and I promise to try to get a picture of the Quack Hilton once it hits the water. And what makes it float you say? That platform under the house holds about six inches of heavy-duty Styrofoam and the whole structure will support approximately 100 pounds.
On the way home we did a little sightseeing, avoiding the interstate highway and opting instead for some small towns. This is Wills Point, Texas, which has been proclaimed the bluebird capital of our grand state. We didn't see any bluebirds.
I liked the contrast of the Rose Dry Goods Co. next to Edward Jones. Wills Point is one of those small towns that still has red brick streets.
On down the road a piece, we came to Edgewood, a town of about 1500 nice people and the home of Graham's Market, one of the best produce stands I've ever been to. Not only did they have fresh veggies and fruits, but a whole wall of jams and jellies, chow-chows, salad dressings, pickles and relishes, plus roasted peanuts, ice cream, pork rinds and all those other goodies we Texans are so fond of.
And of course a produce stand in Texas is incomplete without a watermelon truck!
In Gladewater, which is the Antique Capital of Texas, so some say, we stopped by Walker Manor, a stately neoclassical bed and breakfast just across the tracks on the main drag of this town of 6,228 people. Gladewater is actually one of the few small towns in Texas whose population has grown in the last two censuses. Built by Dr. E.L. Walker in approximately 1909, the three-story house (the third floor space served as an attic with access to a rooftop widow's walk) originally included ten fireplaces, a two-floor elevator, fifteen rooms, five bay windows, and two concrete basements initially intended for use as an infirmary. The elevator was eventually removed and donated to a World War II scrap metal drive. I just love all these little tidbits, don't you? The house remained in the Walker family until 1969, and the new owners have ensured this treasure remains a landmark as a link to early Gladewater.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







18 comments:
I love the Walker House, it is a real beauty. Do you know anything about the size of the family who lived there?
And further, I too am looking forward to the Quacker Hilton!
Cheers,
Jo
How sweet of your friend to think of the ducks and sweet of you to help her get it to her place.
Love that last pic of the mansion. Would love to see inside!
My in-laws used to live in Gladewater - there are some parts of town with the red brick streets there as well. Sounds like it was a fun day of side trips.
Love the manor house. It is a grand manor for sure. But, the ducks will be living high in their little home too. Love the street scenes too.
the buildings are fantastic, i popped over and checked out the bed and breakfast website, the place is gorgeous. teas and weddings to . love those old trucks. your photography skills are amazing.
forgot the duck house, what a super duper idea.
I've never seen a floating duck house before but it is a great idea. I wish we had one on our lake because the ducks lay eggs at the edges but people break the eggs for fun if you can imagine that. I just think of how fun it would be to see little ducklings on the lake.
It is great that you took the time to visit all these neat places and share them with all of us!
Love the truck full of watermelons.
Love that Old Navy truck!
So glad you did some sightseeing on your way back from getting the floating duck house. I DO approve of people taking care of landmarks such as the former Walker home.
the duck house is neat - the raccoons and snakes would still be a problem, here. hope your friend anchors it somehow to avoid it drifting to shore.
like your small town pics! the truck w/ watermelon, especially.
(have been w/o internet svc for 3 days so might not have been able to load your blogs like normal via my cell phone.)
You got a lot of sightseeing done on your mission of "duck" mercy! That Walker house is gorgeous but, that truck load of watermelon is looking pretty sweet too.
There are so many wonderful things in this post. First...Quack Hilton! Priceless and I can't wait to see more on how it works. Then the little towns you visited with so much charm. Love, love, love the watermelon truck! I hope you bought one...a watermelon, I mean...not the truck. :O) Then that B&B was literally to die for. What a gorgeous home. I bet if those walls could talk...so much to tell.
I love your road trips.
I love the watermelon truck! Especially the color!
Kathy, you managed to capture some of the best "feel" of iconic East Texas... at least in my eyes. Great job! blessings ~ tanna
What a fun post...loved every minute!
An old friend from Florida who recently passed away had a floating duck dock w/ shelter similar to that. It's one of my favorite images from our visits. I'm sure your friend is going to love it.
Hi Kathy,
that was a nice tour you did to get that duck house home.
Poor ducks...
Liebe Grüße,
Pia
Post a Comment