Monday, July 30, 2012

Melrose Plantation


A few months ago I took a day trip over to Nachitoches (pronounced nakka-tush), Louisiana, and one of the places I visited was Melrose Plantation, south of the city in the Cane River Creole National Park.  This is definitely not Tara or anywhere near some of the other opulent Southern plantations that have been refurbished, but it is a wonderful example of a working plantation of the 1800s in the South, and the main house, although very large, was somewhat modest reflecting the character of the people who lived in her.

Melrose was established in the late 1700s by a freed black slave, a woman no less!  The main house was built in 1833.


Today the complex is owned by a local historic organization and includes eight of the original structures.  All the materials for the building of these structures was found on the acreage of the plantation, which was self-sufficient as far as food and materials.  One of the remaining structures is a weaving house where fabrics were woven, often in African patterns, for use on the plantation.  One of the original looms remains.  Another structure is a jail where insubordinate slaves were housed.  That's hard to talk about for me, so I won't.  But even in those days there were former slaves who owned slaves of their own and it was a way of life in this area of our country.  The plantation sustained itself by growing sugar cane, cotton, and other agricultural crops.  There are several plantations in this area.  Because of their proximity to the Cane River, they had transportation for their crops and other goods to the outside world.


The grounds of Melrose are beautiful in all seasons.  In this area of Louisiana, and even in East Texas where I live, lichen grows on the trees and almost everything in sight.


I was intrigued by this large iron hook by all the doors when I took a tour of the main house.  It was actually a hook and eye mechanism whereby the doors to the plantation were locked at night.  That hook is probably at least two feet long!


And here you see the hook in its locked position.
The timbers for the walls and doors are probably two feet thick.  
I don't think anything other than a battering ram could break these doors down.


The grounds of Melrose are populated by beautiful live oak trees.  They're estimated to be at least 250 years old!  Many of the branches are over 100 feet long.  Although you can see the Spanish moss on the low-lying branches to the right, a few years ago the plantation staff began stripping it from the trees because redbugs nesting in the moss would often fall on the heads and shoulders of visitors!  If you've ever been bitten by redbugs, you don't want that to happen!

15 comments:

Randy said...

I love the first shot and the house but that tree at the end steals the show for me.

EG CameraGirl said...

Interesting property. I didn't realize former slaves owned slaves. Yes, the South sure has a complicated history!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

thanks for my visit to the plantation. the funny thing about me is, I would love to live in that cabin but not the big house. i have a passion for old houses like this cabin. have always wanted one as my dream home, not the big fancy 3000 sq foot log cabins but these type. i know from personal experiences how bad those bugs in the moss bite. but have never had them fall out, we only got them if we played with the moss. all our trees were full of the stuff, even our pecan trees.
love all the photos today

Jill said...

What a fabulous place to visit!

Jo's World said...

I loved the Melrose Plantation "story". The fun of the information (indepth) about the who, what and where is just right up my alley.

Thank you for that and the great photos!

Jo

Beth said...

All pics are beautiful, but the tree is wonderful.

I am your newest follower.

Beth

Kate said...

Kathy, you must have been inspired because the photos are all wonderful and reveal so much for us who have not visited this remarkable plantation. Love that oak tree! Was dismayed to hear that a former slave owned slaves!!

Judy said...

Super pictures and history lesson. Very interesting.

TexWisGirl said...

i seem to remember this place from another post - maybe not your blog but someone else's. i was ready to cheer for the establisher, but then you added she owned slaves herself. a tough bit to swallow.

Magpie said...

It is an unusual and thought-provoking situation...a freed, female slave owning slaves. It is hard to wrap my mind around. Those trees are works of art.

Sharon said...

I didn't realize that former slaves owned slaves themselves. That is an interesting if not somewhat disturbing fact. These photos are wonderful. I think my favorite one is of the trees. They really are spectacular.

Anonymous said...

I love to tag along on your plantation visits. I guess you might say this was the original Melrose Place!

Deanna said...

what a beautiful plantation, but you would think that a former slave would not turn around and own them for herself, humans are strange. The tree is so majestic, really beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Suburban Girl said...

And to the woman slave I would have said, "You go girl!"

Pia said...

Thats an interesting post Kathy. I never heard about the fact that some slaves had also slaves.
Very nice buildings from this historical place. If the old bench could talk...
Liebe Grüße,
Pia