Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sabine County Jail ~ Hemphill, Texas


Now a museum the Sabine County Jail was constructed in 1903 at a cost of $8,800.  A Victorian structure, it is reminiscent of an English castle.The interior includes several cells, including original graffiti carved by inmates and a trapdoor for hangings.  Only two hangings were conducted in Sabine County after the construction of the jail, one in 1909 which took place as a public event outside the jail and the other in 1922 more privately inside the building.  In 1924 Texas outlawed hanging as a method for carrying out the death penalty.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks haunted for sure! I like the castle tower. Very interesting...

Randy said...

Interesting brick pattern.

Sharon said...

There is some pretty fancy brick work going on here.

Mari said...

What a great old building!

Magpie said...

I agree with others...this is some fancy brick work. It does look like a castle. I could just see some industrious youngun' building a replica with Legos.

Magpie said...

I agree with others...this is some fancy brick work. It does look like a castle. I could just see some industrious youngun' building a replica with Legos.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I was thinking how much it resembled a church. Sometimes they are not much different!

TexWisGirl said...

it's a beautiful building. i'd hate the hanging history of it, though.

Judy said...

This is an impressive looking building and a little foreboding in a way too!

EG CameraGirl said...

Seems strange (to me) to build a prison to look like a castle,

Pia said...

A nice architecture but HANGING uuuh...not the best karma...

Reena said...

Very beautifully built! But agree with Pia ... bad karma!

Suburban Girl said...

Ya know what just kills me...the modern AC unit in the front. I see that so often around historical places and always wonder why they can disguise it a little.

Anonymous said...

Wow, there is so much going on there, with all the outstanding bricks, that it's difficult to focus on the building itself!