Friday, November 9, 2012

The Last Dixie


The last known Dixie gas station in existence sits on Texas Highway 64 in the quiet little village of Joinerville between Henderson and Tyler.  These preengineered manufactured metal buildings were designed to be shipped to a site and erected with little effort during the East Texas oil boom of the 1930s.  There were originally 35 self-service stations which  remained in operation until 1942 when they were either sold, renamed, or vacated.  This one, in addition to Dixie, operated under the names of Texaco, Hancock, and Spunkey.

14 comments:

Kate said...

You always provide us with both interesting and significant information with historical importance for you photos. I really appreciate getting to know the small towns of Texas better. Great job, Kathy!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

first i have seen of one of these. this was back in the days when a gas station was a gas station not a shopping mart.

Amy Burzese said...

A great find. Thanks for sharing the history of your subjects. Very enlightening.

Birdman said...

Interesting story. Old gas stations have a pull on me.

Sharon said...

It's a cute little place.

Judy said...

What a great find! This picture brings back some memories.

Magpie said...

Spunkey??! Too cute, well then so is Dixie. That's a rather unique and innovative idea for back in the 40's - self serve gas stations. See, I'm always learning things on your blog!

Jo's World said...

I love these little old stations, gas could be around 35 cents a gallon, you could get a bottle of pop and a bag of chips and continue on your way!

I love the history too, Kathy!

Cheers,
Jo

TexWisGirl said...

oh my gosh, that's cute! and i'd never thought i'd say that about a gas station. :)

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

What a cute little gas station! Thanks for the history. I hadn't heard about the preengineered metal buildings.

Unknown said...

Wow, I never thought I say this, I'm now interested on something old like this gas station. Weird feeling.

house and land packages mandurah

Anonymous said...

Cute gas station.

Randy said...

That's a little one.

EG CameraGirl said...

Nearly a century old! Amazing!