Sunday, November 25, 2012

Highlights from the Syrup Festival

Each November East Texans celebrate and remember the making of sorghum syrup by their ancestors with the Syrup Festival held in Henderson.  It is a fun day consisting of demonstrations of crafts done the way they were in the days of our grandparents and greatgrandparents, including the making of syrup from sugar cane with a mule team generating the power to operate the mill, a classic car show, classic tractors, native American dancers, Civil War reenactors, a street fair, and lots of good down-home food.  Following are some of my photos from last weekend's Syrup Festival.


The Blacksmith


The Broommaker


The Spinner


One of the food vendors


Rusk County Sheriff's Office mounted deputy


Even the Weinermobile was on hand in the classic car display

12 comments:

Randy said...

I didn't think anyone made brooms by hand anymore. That would be something to have.

EG CameraGirl said...

I do love festivals like this! So much to see and photograph.

Judy said...

I would have loved that event. I think I would buy a handmade broom if he had some for sale.
You never know where that Weinermobile is going to show up!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

these are great. would love to see him finish that broom, had no idea they looked like that. i love a good straw broom.

TexWisGirl said...

the wienermobile is normally seen in wisconsin! ha ha!

love the sheriff shot.

Sharon said...

That certainly looks like a fun event to attend. It's nice to know that there are people who carry on some of those traditional crafts so they aren't lost forever.

Beth said...

Great photos. I would love some of that sorghum.

Kate said...

This looks like a great festival. I wonder what it's like to drive the Weinermobile?

Lisa Gordon said...

This looks like so much fun!
The first photo here is such a wonderful portrait.

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Great photos, Kathy! Did things get sticky... at the festival ;-)

Pia said...

This is my second Syrup Festival Kathy. Love it!
It is such a creative event and there are baked potaos offered...
The Weinermobile looks very special, great shot!
Liebe Grüße,
Pia

Suburban Girl said...

I love this type of thing. I haven't seen the Weinermobile in ages.