Thursday, November 8, 2012
Reflections in Phoenix
Last month during my visit to Phoenix, I got together one day for an outing in downtown Phoenix with my good blogger buddies Magpie (In Over My Head) and Tracy (Life is a Road Trip). You may remember my post of all those wacky folks we encountered on the scavenger hunt. Well, downtown in big cities glass-fronted buildings always lend some camera fun dealing with reflections, and when we saw these nicely trimmed palms and the gorgeous blue desert sky reflected in the glass on the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism building on the ASU downtown campus we decided to post our interpretations on the same day and Magpie reached up in the air and pulled November 8 out of wispy clouds. So today's the day. The above shot is my original.
I played around for a while with a couple of my photos. I have absolutely no editing skills whatsoever but must rely on what other creative minds have put together for us lazy people. I use Topaz Adjust for a lot of my postprocessing and I usually stick to a couple of favorite presets but I decided to go out of my usual cardboard box for this project. I stumbled across this preset called Ghost - Dark. I wish I had found it in time for Halloween. Knowing me, by the time next Halloween comes around I will have forgotten about it.
I'm usually not one for neon colors and stuff that couldn't or wouldn't readily appear in nature but I sorta liked this one called Glow in the Dark. You might notice that Magpie says in her post that Tracy and I have warped interpretations so I guess this proves her innate ability to accurately describe my work. But another reason I liked this is because purple is Magpie's favorite color and I immediately thought of her when I discovered this one.
Be sure to visit their blogs (highlighted above under the first photograph) to see what they've done with this scene.
Girls, I hope you're planning our next outing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




15 comments:
Cool reflection. It looks like the "mass communication" part was an afterthought on the sign. I like that toned down treatment of the Ghost-Dark. Funky treatments aren't my thing either, but they are fun to play with. The things they can do with digital are infinite. I'll visit your friends.
all three are beautiful, and i am headed over to see what they saw
I think some of your bloggers friends might like to join you on your excursions! The reflections looks like they're painted on!
The reflections are awesome!
I like that middle one the best. Nicely done!
Very interesting.
Well done.
You guys had way too much fun!! What a good idea! Great reflections and I do like that neon treatment.
To answer your question about where I took my picture from on today's post, a hot air balloon would have been fun but I was up on the big hill that the Prescott Resort and Casino sits on. Always great views to be had up there.
i like the stormy middle one. cool!
This was so fun! I love the spooky looking one too. I did use a texture on mine. I ventured into iPiccy and had some fun. We'll definitely have to do this again.
Thats a cool idea Kathy! I first did not realize that the palms are reflections. I thought there is a balcony around the building with real plants. The Ghost-Dark editing suits very well!
I will do a reminder to remind you next years Halloween....
Liebe Grüße,
Pia
I like how you've played with this, Kathy. FUN!
I like the last one (well all of the pic actually) it looks so stormy. Now off to see the others. MB
You three have fun together. I told Magpie and Tracy that we should have a Southwest Blogger summit and all meet in Phoenix sometime.
I Love the middle one - soooo cool!
Uh oh. I saw Magpie's first and thought the reflection was in a pool. I should have known better since I read the blog about your downtown Phoenix day.
Hope you don't mind if I tag along on your blog for awhile.
Post a Comment