Saturday, November 17, 2012
Hood County Courthouse - Texas No. 27
Hood County in Granbury is home to an 1890 Second Empire courthouse built of Brazos limestone. The three-story structure has a lighted clock tower and three widow's walks.
The restoration of the interior of the courthouse came with a price tag in excess of $5 million.
Hood County has a population of 52,000 and is named for a Confederate general, John Bell Hood, who was commander of Hood's Texas Brigade. Granbury, with 8,000 residents, has a thriving retail commerce with practically every storefront on the courthouse square being occupied by a boutique shop. Forty miles southwest of Fort Worth and 70 miles from Dallas, every weekend on the square looks like shopping on the Friday Thursday after Thanksgiving.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




16 comments:
That's a nice one!
Love the limestone and all the unique architectural details. I found a website with the history of Georgia's court houses. It would be fun to visit/photograph them some day.
Thanksgiving blessings to you.
Again a very nice old building Kathy. I would like to know what the view is while walking the willow´s walk. And they built three of them.
You really should put a book together of these marvelous buildings. It would be wonderful to see many of them in a collection.
i like the closeup view of the peak of the roof. lovely old building. that is a small county in a big state.
Beautiful building. And, I enjoy learning the history of the building and town. I love Texas! We've always enjoyed visiting there and my first nephew was born there.
Beautiful building. And, I enjoy learning the history of the building and town. I love Texas! We've always enjoyed visiting there and my first nephew was born there.
An awesome old building!
A grand old building
i like the darker tower in the center.
This building has a look that will not be quickly forgotten. They went all out on that clock tower, it's one of the tallest I've seen.
This is gorgeous! They just don't build them like they used to.
What an amazing building this is. I'm so impressed by the almost fanciful courthouses you find in that neck of the woods.
I like to be the jury.
The pics are terrific and you know I love that history!
Cheers,
Jo
Gorgeous building love all the details!
Post a Comment