If two can comprise a gang, then the Grapeland Safari has a gang of camels. When they are chasing you you feel like you're encountering a gang, that's for sure. They are relentless. Once they spot you, you're the bull's eye on a target. You can get away from them but if you're in their sight distance, whenever you stop, they come running!
Shamir is the park's Bactrian camel. Bactrians have two humps (which do not store water but instead store fat to be converted to water when necessary) and are endangered. It is estimated that only about 1,000 still live in the wild in China and Mongolia.
I didn't catch this little gal's name but she sports a shedding coat much like Hedda Hopper made a statement with her hats. I overheard her saying, "I love my rug. I think it's soooo fashionable."
Here comes Shamir, ready or not. They had me laughing during our whole encounter. I simply could not get away from them.
When their store of fat is depleted, the humps become floppy. These were the only two skinny animals I saw in the place. The owner told me she had wormed them recently but they still hadn't picked up any weight. Shamir reminded me of a little old man who is slowing drying up.
"Get outta my way. I'm gonna kiss her first!"
What's not to love about a face like this?
My trip to Grapeland was one of the most fun times I've had in months. I'm glad I could share it with you. I'm thinking spring might be a good time to return when there probably will be baby deer in abundance!







7 comments:
oh, those faces! :) sure hope they can put on some happy weight, soon!
Hey there funny face!
That last shot is priceless. What a fun experience. I'd love to visit a place like this.
I'm so glad you liked it there, Kathy. That means you'll go back and get tons more photos, right?
The shedding coat looks hot and uncomfortable. Interesting about the waterless humps.
What fun! I think camels are the most unusual looking creatures and I love them. What ever that was in the feed bucket that you bought must have been like candy to the animals. I hope the camels start to pick up weight and thrive.
I am so glad you shared this adventure with all of us out here in bloggerville.
Aren't they marvelous! Were they after attention, or food? I'd be so afraid they would spit on me! :-) Wonderful post, and I loved your visit to this wildlife park very much!
Yes, open range is such a shock in the west. :-) We also saw some donkeys in the road but they were gone before I could get the camera ready. I was sitting in the back seat then and that isn't the best place for pictures! :-)
Post a Comment