Thursday, July 24, 2014

Hunt's Tomb


These fences aren't necessarily pretty but they are indeed significant.  The first fence surrounds the pyramid which is Hunt's Tomb, and it represents an important part of Arizona history.  It is the final resting place of Arizona's governor, George W.P. Hunt.  Hunt became the first governor after statehood in 1912 and was elected for seven terms, his governorship coming to a close in 1933.  After having visited Egypt he and his wife became fascinated with the pyramids and he asked Congress for permission to build a pyramid tomb in Phoenix in what is now Papago Park.  At the time it was in Papago Saguaro National Monument, thus requiring Congressional approval.  The tomb was to be used as a final resting place for his wife, Helen, who died in 1931.  Hunt joined her in 1934 and five other family members are also interred there.  One of Hunt's last wishes when he died was "... in my last sleep I want to be buried that I may in my spirit overlook this splendid valley."  The view is indeed splendid as it overlooks the vast Phoenix valley.

Hunt was a forward-thinking man who supported such issues as women's suffrage, the abolishment of capital punishment and secret ballots.  He was also a strong proponent of making sure Arizona got its share of the water from the Colorado River which runs through the Grand Canyon and is the source of hydroelectric power which today provides places such as Las Vegas and Los Angeles with electricity.

The outer fences are necessary because the tomb lies immediately adjacent to the Phoenix Zoo!  So in addition to a beautiful view, perhaps Hunt hears the sounds of the many animals that are his neighbors.

Linking to Good Fences hosted by TexWis.

16 comments:

MadSnapper n Beau said...

i am glad you explained all the fencing.. when i first saw the photo i thought what in the world at 3 different fence. i would like being next door to the zoo.. my favorite part of the photo is the cactus. i have never seen one in real life

TexWisGirl said...

oh, my! the pyramid is truly unique! i like the saguaros.

thanks for linking in - perfectly! :)

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Thanks for an interesting and informative post.

Sharon said...

When the weather is cooler (much cooler than today) I like to climb up there and admire the view.

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh, now I understand the need for the second fence.

Judy said...

That is a familiar sight!

bj said...

Awesome...thanks for sharing this info with us.

Mersad said...

That was a very interesting read Kathy. Thanks for sharing!

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Anonymous said...

A interesting piece. I wonder what Mr. Hunt would think of his state these days.

BumbleVee said...

There are some really things out there aren't there? Thanks for the info on this one... another bit of trivia to add to my goldmine....

Tanya Breese said...

well that is sure interesting!

Rose said...

This is an interesting post...would never have thought that was here in the US.

eileeninmd said...

Interesting post, the pyramid is cool! Great fence shots.

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting! I love learning new things.

Randy said...

I used to spend my lunch hours there watching the Giraffes in the zoo.

A Colorful World said...

Kathy, how interesting! We may be going to the Phoenix Zoo at the end of next month (we NEVER go to Phoenix, unless we are driving through) even though it's unbearably hot. Our niece from Oregon is driving down that far and we want to see her. I think the tomb is interesting and would like to see it, now that I know about it! :-) We just returned from a thirteen day vacation to Four Corners, Utah & Colorado, and I am trying to get caught up! Hope all is well with you.