Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Erath County Courthouse (Texas No. 35)


Erath County Courthouse, Stephenville, Texas


Veterans Memorial on the grounds of the Erath County Courthouse

The Erath County Courthouse in Stephenville, Texas, was built in 1892, renovated in 1988 and again in 2002.  It was the third courthouse for the Central Texas county.  Designed by noted architect J. Riely Gordon, the structure is constructed of white limestone from the nearby Leon River and red sandstone from Pecos County.  The interior is built of East Texas pine. The tower extends 95 feet in the air.

Erath County and Stephenville facts:

Erath County has a population of 38,000; the county seat of Stephenville has 17,000 residents.  Stephenville is the birthplace of Ben Hogan, one of the country's most notable professional golfers, and Milton Brown who is known as the Father of Western Swing.  Its current most famous resident is the singer/songwriter Jewel Kilcher, simply known throughout the world as Jewel.  Stephenville is 70 miles southwest of Fort Worth.

16 comments:

Deb said...

I love learning more about our great state of Texas

Kate said...

I've said this before but whenever I see another of your photos of courthouses. I think that it would be a worthy project to publish your findings!

Suburban Girl said...

Love the colors of the courthouse. Your eagle photos is very well done.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

that eagle is awesome. the detail wow. beautiful old building

Judy said...

I like the way they combined the limestone and sandstone. It's a handsome structure. Great composition on the memorial.

TexWisGirl said...

the building is pretty, but that eagle... wow!

EG CameraGirl said...

Lovely in this light! It sounds the area has been the birthplace of a few successful people.

Amy Burzese said...

Love this one. The sunlight makes it more special.

Sharon said...

The size of these courthouses is amazing to me given the populations they serve. Like Judy, I like the combination of the two different stones too. I also enjoy Jewel's music very much!

Jo's World said...

This is a beautiful building, looks so well cared for! I agree with Kate who thinks you ought to Make a coffee table book of Texas courthouses.

Cheers,
Jo

Randy said...

Another nice one.

betty-NZ said...

What a lovely bit of architecture. Thanks for the info, too, I really like having it to go with the pictures.

Lara said...

Beautiful building!

Kate said...

You not only are a good photographer, but you research the interesting facts and include them as well!

Reena said...

It's a beautiful courthouse!

Mersad said...

I haven't visited in quite some time, sorry for that. I hope you are ok. Feels good to see your images again, you never disappoint!