Friday, February 22, 2013

Texas Gothic


I've been absent this week because I'm drowning in work.  I can't seem to get caught up.  It just keeps coming and coming.  I'm thankful that my work drought may be over but come on, people, I need to get back to my blogger friends!  I took the afternoon off - not to go out with my camera, mind you, but to get much needed provisions.  On my return home I noticed this longhorn bull appeared to be fighting with a donkey at a ranch I pass by frequently.  I've never seen livestock in this spot so maybe they were just allowed in a different area for grazing now that the grass is greening up.  Well, I just had to get a picture of that donkey fighting with a longhorn.  I had a feeling it would come up on the losing end.  By the time I got pulled over and parked and out of my truck, they were peacefully grazing together.  I guess they were just having some playful sparring.   I wouldn't want to be wrangling with those horns!  As I took a couple shots I was reminded of the Grant Woods American Gothic painting.  I've seen many parodies of the farmer and his wife but never longhorns in that role.

I'll be back tomorrow with another Caption This but will probably then return to my cave to get more work done!

19 comments:

Randy said...

That's one horny pair.

Amy Burzese said...

The perfect pose for you. That spotted one is beautiful.

Kate said...

Amusing comment, Randy. Neither horny or randy, I'd guess! (Groan!)

Working is good...we' gladly wait for your photos...just take it easy!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

they make a stunning couple... out of all the cows, longhorns are my favorite... she looks just like a litle lady and so female. wish we could have seen the donkey episode. check out this donkey
just came from her blog
http://www.the7msnranch.com/2013/02/saturday-encore-harassing-hank.html

Birdman said...

What a great title. No pitchforks needed. Ha!

Beth said...

WOW!! Great photo!

Judy said...

They are beautiful! I like the way they are looking right at you.

I don't know what is up the stairs in my picture today. I think it's apartments. I have never ventured inside The Big Easy bar either.

Sharon said...

I do see the parody here. I love the looks of these longhorn cattle.

TexWisGirl said...

love the comparison! :) what a great looking couple!

Jeanne said...

I love the way they just look at you. Like they have a secret!

Kaya said...

Kathy, that is priceless picture. Love it, love so much!

They are beautiful!

Jo's World said...

They are a pretty pair indeed and I really loved the little brown spotted one.

I thought you were retired, what the big hassle about work!

Jo

Deb said...

I love longhorns...nice photo

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

I love how they have posed for you!

Pia said...

The longhorns look great. But where is the donkey gone?

Slow down Kathy! You know breakneck speed is not good for you!

Liebe Grüße,
Pia

Suburban Girl said...

I hate drowning in work...it gets in the way of all the fun.

A Colorful World said...

Love your name for this post! It is truly Texas Gothic! Glad the donkey wasn't hurt. They all must be feeling "their oats" as they say! :-)

Lara said...

Love me some bull pics!

Anonymous said...

Got horns?