Saturday, April 23, 2011

Tall Bearded Iris

Below are some of the iris that have bloomed in our yard so far this spring.



Invitation

Iris 101:  The upper petals are called standards; the lower petals are falls.  The fuzzy portion underneath the standards and on top of the falls is the beard.  Invitation is pale apricot with a tangerine beard.



I don't know the name of this beauty.   One of my uncles who has been dead for many,  many years gave it to my mother a long time ago.  I just call it the Neil Cranford, which was my uncle's name.  It reminds me of a big scoop of orange sherbet.



This is an old-fashioned purple iris, a prolific bloomer.  We've probably had at least 50 blooms so far.  The wire you see at the top of the photograph is an electric fence because on that side of the fence is a meadow and the cows will push up against the fence and try to eat the plants that are planted near it.



Role Model

Four years ago when I started making plans to move back to Texas, I dug up all my iris in my garden in Phoenix and mailed them all to my mom.  Role Model was always one of my favorites and I was so pleased when it bloomed this year.



Another lovely which made the transition from Desert Southwest to the humid almost subtropics of East Texas.  I don't remember the name of it though and haven't been able to find it as yet on the Internet.



The fairest of the fair is this gorgeous French blue specimen which my mother purchased a few years back.  She doesn't remember the name of it but it just may be a variety called Monet's Blue.  So far it's my favorite.

Note to Mari:  This is the white fence I told you that has been calling to me to please come give it a bath!

12 comments:

Randy said...

They are all so beautiful but I would have to say that the Role Model is my favorite.

Anonymous said...

Kathy, these are all so beautiful and complex. Each one has it's own personality. Very funny about the Neil Cranford! And sweet. It's hard to pick a favorite, but I think I'll go with the one with no name.

EG CameraGirl said...

You certainly have some gorgeous iris in your garden!

tracy said...

What beautiful flowers! I bet they are loving the moisture they get out there.

(Yes, the camera strap is a challenge. I am not very good at that kind of stuff anyway, but you only have to adjust it once, and it is well worth it.)

Mari said...

Your iris are so pretty! They look nice against that white fence (Which doesn't look like it needs cleaning!)

Serline said...

Whether purple or French blue, apricot or pink, they are nothing short of spectacular!

Brenda's Arizona said...

Lovely, lovely. You selling bulbs? :-)

Kerri Farley said...

Oh, they are all stunning! WOW!!

Magpie said...

I agree...the blue is my favorite also. They are all lovely. When I lived on the ranch in Payson many moons ago, the cows were always opening the gate to my yard and eating my flowers!!

Judy said...

This is just beautiful. Iris are my favorite flower. They are so elegant and you have some wonderful colors. I wish they bloomed all year.

Sharon Creech said...

gorgeous!

Suburban Girl said...

they are so beautiful. They fascinate me with their curves and curls.