When I first saw the name Grand Cane on a map of DeSoto Parish, I just knew I had to go there (you may remember my search for Eulalie Brice a few weeks back). It just had such a romantic tone that I knew there was something special there. And, boy, was I right!
This beautiful Revival Gothic church (First United Methodist) in the village of Grand Cane, Louisiana, was the most spectacular building I saw on this road trip. Just a few miles up the road from Mansfield, Grand Cane is a relative youngster, having only been established in 1881. It reached its peak population of 500 around the turn of the century and has a present population of 191 (2000 census). Little but mighty, Grand Cane had the first accredited high school in the State of Louisiana. The entire downtown area of the village, consisting of about six buildings laid out in a row along one side of a fairly new four-lane state highway, is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places, as is this wonderful church which was built in approximately 1888. Tomorrow I hope you will join me for a look at an historic house in Keachi, Louisiana.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
The church is a perfect place for a photo. It looks so ideal and only lacks a bride and groom coming out the door.
Marvelous!
I love the buildings you find. This is a gorgeous church!
The village may be small but I bet the church draws from miles around. Someone's taking great care of the building.
I like old churches like this. It looks like something from a movie.
You are having quite the road trip. Lots of good finds.
Beautiful church buidling and yard.
So gorgeous and so beautifully framed by the trees. Nice job.
Beautiful church!
Post a Comment