Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Spring's First Magnolia Blossom


I didn't discover the first blossom on our magnolia tree until it had almost dried up!  It has been very dry here since the first of the year and the usually dark green magnolia leaves are showing signs of  water deprivation and the blossoms are turning dark much sooner than usual.

8 comments:

Randy said...

That is a stunning flower. I hope you get rain soon.

Anonymous said...

I love magnolias. As a child, I would emulate my favorite storybook characters and read a book on a low branch of our magnolia in Louisiana (at least I tried - wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be!)

I wish it would hurry up and rain already!!!

Magpie said...

Wishing you some rain soon. It's a beautiful flower. In my brother's neighborhood in Peoria, there is someone trying to grow two Magnolia trees. Needless to say, they don't do very well in our dry heat.

EG CameraGirl said...

What a shame it's so dry there and that your spring is being cut short.

Mari said...

It may be drying up, but it's still pretty! I wish we could send you some of our rain - it's flooding here.

Sharon said...

What a gorgeous bloom. I love magnolia blossoms. It almost seems crazy that you should be so dry while Missouri is getting drenched and Alabama is get storm after storm. Such wild weather.

Suburban Girl said...

Ours have bloomed and fallen from the trees already!

tracy said...

It's beautiful if still a little thirsty.