Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Corpstein Duplex 258/365
The Corpstein Duplex was constructed in approximately 1920 for Avery A. Corpstein (1892 – 1961), a prominent Phoenix businessman. It is architecturally significant as one of four outstanding examples of Prairie School bungalows in Central Phoenix. Each unit of the building has a rectangular boxlike mass at the ground floor bounded on two adjacent sides of colonnaded porches crowned by a sleeping room. One must remember that during this period air conditioning did not exist and most residences in Phoenix had sleeping areas with exposure to the outdoors. Even the elegant Wrigley Mansion today still seats Sunday brunch guests in its original sleeping porch area (I know: I got to sit there one June for my birthday and it still is not air conditioned!). I cannot find any reference as to the initial use of the duplex although I must surmise that it was constructed as a residence for Mr. Corpstein and perhaps the other unit was a rental.
In approximately 2000 former mayor of Phoenix Phil Gordon purchased the duplex and describes it as follows: The day I first looked at the building, the roof and walls were crumbling and it was completely full of debris and filth. Everyone I talked to said the building simply could not be restored.
Today the duplex is the home of the Arizona Commission on the Arts and at least two references on the Internet refer to it as being listed on the National Registry of Historic Places, although I do not find that to be the case when visiting the website of the National Registry. However, it is definitely listed as an historic place by the City of Phoenix Historic Preservation Office and is included in the Roosevelt Historic District. The building is currently owned by the Arizona State Department of Administration.
The metal structure seen behind the left portion of the duplex in the image is the radio tower of the Westward Ho Hotel featured in this blog on February 7, 2010.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Nice building and you added a very reach and useful description.
You have so many buildings with neat architecture. I always enjoy seeing it and reading about the history.
Isn't it wonderful that we do have these kind of buildings that people care enough about to restore? Can you imagine anything they're building today will still be standing in 90 years or that anyone would care enough to restore them? I love the sleeping rooms and in those days when the desert did cool down at night, I'm sure they were quite comfortable.
Great photo!!
Kathy, I forgot to mention, you've been tagged on my blog. Hope you enjoy!
Wow, those are some pretty duplexs. Around here, duplexes are the houses that tend to be renters homes and aren't always kept in the best condition.
That's a wonderful good-news story. I would much rather see an old building renovated than torn down and replaced. The old buildings have the character a newer one can never have!
Cool buildings!
I always learn so much when I visit your blog, Kathy!
Post a Comment