Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Charles Pugh House 272/365
The Charles Pugh house is one of the few surviving Queen Anne houses in Phoenix and one of the last 19th century buildings still standing in its original location. Pugh was editor/publisher of the Southwestern Stockman, a newspaper established in Phoenix in 1884. His house was built in what is now Central Phoenix in 1897 and was in use for most of the 20th century, often as a hotel or boarding house. From 1937 to 1975 it was known as the Lewis Hotel. In the 1990s it housed a small restaurant called the 1897 House Restaurant. Since that time it has been boarded up and abandoned. It is owned by a private citizen and there seems to be some effort to garner interest in preservation as I found a Facebook page and a Twitter account concerning the property. It is one of the most endangered sites in the city. Note the beautiful leaded glass window at the top which seems to be hanging by a thread.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
You don't see much architecture like that around here for sure.
What a neat looking building - I would love to see it with windows in it.
Oh sites like this kill me. I love seeing places like this restored...I hope it is someday. It reminds me of a place near me in a bit better condition. There is a photo in this post.
http://thedustycellar.blogspot.com/2010/03/blue-around-town.html
I sure hope the owners or new buyers find the money to bring this back from the brink. Its such a beautiful home.
Oh, yes, save this house! What a lovely piece of the past. It just needs some TLC and well, maybe, lots of money.
Post a Comment