Sunday, April 11, 2010

St. Mary's Basilica 261/365



Saint Mary's Basilica, officially named The Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix was founded in 1881 and has been staffed by the Franciscan Friars since 1895. Church construction began in 1903 and was completed in 1913. It is the oldest Roman Catholic parish in the greater Phoenix area and is home to Arizona's largest stained glass windows collection. The church's Spanish Mission structure supports four domes spanning the length of the Basilica. Pope John Paul II designated St. Mary’s a minor basilica in 1984. It thereby became the 32nd basilica in the US and remains the only basilica in Arizona. John Paul visited the church three years later in 1987. The church bells, after 20 years of silence, were reactivated in 2008. I was fortunate enough to hear the bells twice today while visiting downtown Phoenix. The basilica is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as well as the Phoenix Historic Property Register.


To see photos of St. Mary’s gardens, please visit FKH Photo Journal HERE.

9 comments:

Magpie said...

Kathy, this is such a lovely church!!

Tracy said...

I love the bells of St Mary's. I used to hear them occasionally while walking to a Suns or Diamondbacks game. Very nice capture.

Lara said...

Great summary and beautiful picture!

Gwyn said...

Greetings Kathy from Alaska!
Wow! So many architectural details to study.The crosses against the blue sky are beautiful. Thanks for sharing some history with us.:)

fredamans said...

I love the top half of this photo! Beautiful.

Maia T said...

Beautiful church and shot Kathy. is this still straight from the camera?
You are all the time one step ahead; I just finished today the interior shootings for our Franciscan church.

Michelle said...

How beautiful. I am a retired catholic, but I love visiting Catholic churches. They know how to build them!!

Mari said...

What a gorgeous building! I love those architectural details.

EG CameraGirl said...

I like the architecture of the Southwest. Handsome church!