Thursday, April 29, 2010
Lewis Douglas (aka Bishop Harte) House 279/365
The Lewis Douglas House is on the National Registry of Historic Places and the City of Phoenix Historic Property Register. It is also known as the Bishop Harte House. Built in 1923, this beautiful home sits on approximately 1.66 acres of land in the heart of what is now known as the Central Corridor and has approximately 4,000 square feet of living space.
Lewis Douglas (1894 – 1974) was born into a wealthy Arizona mining family. After receiving an education at Amherst and MIT and serving in World War I, he settled in the mining town of Jerome (named for Leonard Jerome, a wealthy New York financier who was Winston Churchill’s grandfather), and at the age of 29 began a long political career. He was a member of the Arizona House of Representatives, a U.S. Congressman, appointed by FDR as Director of the Bureau of the Budget, and in 1947 was named US ambassador to Great Britain. He died in Tucson in 1974 from complications of surgery and his ashes were spread over Jerome.
In 1976 the Episcopal Diocese of Arizona deeded the house to Bishop Joseph Meaken Harte, the second bishop of the diocese. Born in 1914, Bishop Harte was elected bishop of the diocese in 1962. He and his wife Alice lived in the home until their deaths in 1999 (just ten days apart) and his estate deeded the house to a private individual. In 2008 the home sold to a prominent neurosurgeon for just under $2 million.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
Kathy:
What a restful, welcoming place! I've grazed around a bit and think your photographs are stunning. I've joined your friends list and will be back to explore further.
Thanks so much for the kind comment you left on Kate's Chronicles of a Country Girl blog! I hope you'll visit Brynwood again and say hello. You're welcome to sit a spell any time ;-)
Til next time...
xoxo
Donna
The house looks gorgeous, but I'm in awe of the trees! So beautiful. The one in the left front corner has such character in the bark.
Gosh, looking at that photo you would never know it was in the middle of Phoenix. I still can't get over what a great Spring we've had and how cool it was today here at the end of April!
This is such a lovely, stately home. I expect June Cleaver to step out onto the porch and call to Wally and the Beaver.
I am amazed at how much greenery there is in Arizona! I didn't think Phoenix got enough rain for big trees and grass. Ha! What do I know!?
Well, one lucky neurosurgeon gets to enjoy all that beauty! Thanks for sharing.
Wish I lived there! Looks serene! Great shot!
What a neat story. How real estate tells us who we are.
Gorgeous!
Post a Comment