Saturday, April 17, 2010
Kenilworth School/Kenilworth Historic District 268/365
Kenilworth School is the longest operating school in Maricopa County, having been built in 1920. The school is an imposing neoclassical building and is located in the Kenilworth Addition, one of the subdistricts of the Roosevelt Historic District where the majority of Phoenix’s movers and shakers lived at the turn of the century and for three decades beyond. Originally slated to be demolished for freeway expansion, transportation planners changed the I-10 freeway alignment slightly in the 1980s to save this historic structure. When the school celebrated its 80th anniversary in 2000, one of the classrooms was restored to its 1920 condition. Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona was a graduate of Kenilworth School.
For some close-up shots of Kenilworth’s architecture and a representation of the district's present-day homes, please CLICK HERE to navigate to my extra photos blog.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Wow! What a school building! It looks like a place where learning was taken seriously.
If those walls could talk . . .
I didn't know there was a school building that looked this lovely here! What a great photo.
We have to get together and really soon before it gets any hotter!!
Now that is a cool looking school! Yeah, magpie, we definitely have to meet up down there sometime.
This is a beautiful building. I cannot believe they would tear this down to build a freeway!
What a neat old school! I love those pillars. I'm so glad they saved it.
I missed this one and you were right in my neighborhood! I love this building.
Post a Comment