Sunday, January 3, 2016

Denizens of the Desert - Slithery


As soon as we got our tickets to the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum my grandson was itching to visit the reptile and amphibian exhibit.  Isn't that just like a 12-year-old boy!  The next thing you know, he'll be wanting to check out girls!

This coachwhip snake was one of the prettiest of the museum's specimens.  Growing up to six feet in length, it's known for its terrific speed.  Although nonvenomous, they are fierce and known to bite.


The Desert Museum is not only a zoo but a botanical garden, an aquarium, a natural history museum, and a research facility.  The rare and endangered San Esteban chuckwalla, or desert iguana, occurs naturally only on the island of San Esteban in the Gulf of California.  The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum has had a successful captive breeding program in place since 1977.

7 comments:

Sharon said...

I think I might have skipped the reptiles when I was there so I didn't get to see these guys. They are a colorful pair.

Kate said...

What a wonderful educational experience!!

eileeninmd said...

Hi, what a fun visit with your grandson. Most boys love the reptiles. The snake is a pretty color and desert iguana is cool. Great photos. Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your new week ahead!

TexWisGirl said...

neat place to see them up close!

EG CameraGirl said...

What a super place to take a 12-year old...and a camera.

Kaya said...

Kathy, if you would not tell us that all these wonderful creatures from the zoo, I would think that you saw them in wildness. Of course, I would not want to meet a red powerful snake. No way.

You had a great adventure visiting this unique place and so do I looking so closely at your photographs and learning something new. Thank you for these amazing series of photos, Kathy!!!!

A Colorful World said...

I got behind with you! Sorry! We saw a Gila Monster once at the Saguaro Monument west several years ago, but I haven't seen one since. That was quite a thrill! Don't you love the Sonoran Desert Museum, too!