Wednesday, January 20, 2016
Support Group
Even the giant saguaro cacti of our native desert occasionally need a bit of support. I spotted these giant saguaros which have been propped up and are being supported near the entrance to a home. These saguaros are quite tall - I'm terrible at estimating things like that but these cacti have been known to grow up to 40 to 60 feet. A 10-year-old saguaro may only be 1.5 inches tall so I think these guys must be great-great-grandfathers by now. Maybe that's why they need this support. When fully hydrated and when rains have been plentiful (average annual rainfall in Phoenix is 8.03 inches per year) saguaros can weigh between 3200 and 4800 pounds.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
long may they stand!
That one does look like a great-great grandfather.
Thanks for the information. I'm going to have to google these behemoths to find out more about them. Don't know how to pronounce it but I'll find out.
i had no idea they got that big. maybe they transplanted those big guys and the support is there until they take hold. when they move big palms here, the prop them up for a wile just like that. i would love to see one growing
Wow, the first thing I noticed was how tall they were. (I am heading to the library to stock up just in case this storm becomes reality.)
Wow, that is heavy weight and big in size.
I love any kind of cacti so I'm glad they are helping this great grandfather out with support.
Slow growers! I think after all these years they deserve support too.
I'm glad it's getting the support it needs! We've had some vandalism against saguaros and cacti in general here lately. It always makes me ill!!!
Post a Comment