Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Denizens of the Desert - Raptors - Barn Owl


One of the primary reasons for driving the 115 miles to Tucson to visit the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum was to experience the free flight of the raptors.  If you've never seen birds of prey up close,they are among our most amazing creatures.

The birds are summoned by hand signals to a meaty treat usually placed on a branch so that the audience can get a good view of each bird, and it's amazing to feel the quick swoosh of air as they fly just above your head at incredible speeds.


We only saw three birds during the afternoon show, although we were expecting at least five, but they were so astounding we didn't feel cheated in the least.

The common barn owl easily finds a home in the desert where the food source is plentiful.  Nature's own mousetrap, one of these owls can dispose of 2,000 mice a year.  They employ silent flight, low-light eyesight and incredible hearing to catch their prey.  A barn owl can catch a mouse in a totally dark room simply by listening.

8 comments:

MadSnapper n Beau said...

wow, the ultimate mouse trap... we have 2 little screech owls that we hear but rarely see. and boy can they hunt... i have seen a couple of raptor shows and know that woosh sound as they fly overheard. you are having lots of fun in your new home

Sharon said...

Such beautiful birds. This must have been amazing to watch.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I would love to see this raptor flight show. The Barn Owl is beautiful. Great post and photos. Enjoy your day!

Kaya said...

I am the one who have never seen the raptors close like that. Right now I want to see this museum in Tuscon and these powerful birds.

Kathy, these are amazing photos and very, very rare!

TexWisGirl said...

i'm glad you enjoyed seeing them! awesome.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Wonderful shots! I loved seeing the raptors at the state fair this year. It was fun to learn more about them. I didn't realize that owls hearing was so acute.

Paula said...

Very interesting post Kathy.

A Colorful World said...

I've seen the Harris Hawks in a show there, but would love to see the barn owl! I read the most fascinating book, Wesley the Owl, that I think you would love.