Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Franklin County Courthouse (Texas No. 51)


This was my destination last Friday when I ran into foul weather.  The crazy thing is, this was my third trip to Mount Vernon, Texas, some 150 miles from my home, to photograph this courthouse.  Now keep in mind that there were other stops along the way, but the round trip values now equate to right at 900 miles to get this photo.  The first time in 2012 when I went, it was surrounded by chain-link fence (see the photo here) and you could see daylight through the gutted building.  It was during the restoration process, accomplished through a grant of $5 million from the Texas State Historical Association for both exterior and interior.  A year and a half later in late 2013 I again went to the courthouse and little progress had been made in the interim.  I didn't even bother with a photograph that time.

So as I'm nearing Mount Vernon, as I mentioned in Friday's post, about four miles out of town I ran into those ominous clouds.  Two miles down the road the rain was blinding and I'm thinking to myself:  I've invested 900 miles of travel and 18 hours of time trying to get a photo of this building.  If I'm not successful, I'm calling it quits.

I pull up to the courthouse, which sits on one side of the courthouse square, an atypical placement, and watched the rain pound down.  I tried rolling the window down and taking a shot out the window but the rear-view mirror was in the way.  Finally after 15 or 20 minutes the rain let up enough that I could actually step out of the vehicle and click a few shots.

There is really very little information about this courthouse.  Franklin is one of the smallest counties in Texas and the county seat, Mount Vernon, has only a little over 2,500 residents.  The courthouse was built in 1912 in the Classical Revival Style, and it has a chiming clock.  That's about it!  In my three visits to Mount Vernon I'm not sure I've ever encountered a person, although I saw a couple of cars while I was there Friday.  You will notice there is only one vehicle parked in front of the courthouse.  If you want someplace quiet, this may be the place to go!

9 comments:

MadSnapper n Beau said...

i can't tell it was bad weather by the photo, it came out beautiful... i don't even try 20 miles to get photos and here you are driving 900 miles. yowsa. i don't like driving or riding or travel. you must be like my mother. she loved to ride

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, your travels gave you a great shot. Love this photo and the story behind your journey. Even in the rain you accomplished what you set out to do.
Love old buildings like this and we like to travel around Texas. This is an inspiration for a little road trip.
Have a wonderful day.
Hugs, CM

TexWisGirl said...

i think it was worth all of your trips and even the horrible weather! :)

Sharon said...

Your photo of this difficult place turned out great. What and ordeal you had to go through to get this one. All that rain, must have cleaned the air because this photo is crisp and clear.
No, the I didn't get any photos of the dressed up people. There really were only four or five at this show, but the little boy was a stand out. I was just never in a position to snap his photo.

Judy said...

What a difference between this one and the one in Marshall. I'm glad you got this nice picture after all you have gone through for this courthouse.

Paula said...

Strange there is never anyone around and such a big beautiful building.

A Colorful World said...

The town, and the courthouse, are guarding its secrets! :-)

Randy said...

Plain compared to yesterdays courthouse.

EG CameraGirl said...

I think all that traveling paid off, Kathy. I think the restoration was worth it. The clock tower makes the builing.