Thursday, June 11, 2015

If You Had All the Money in the World ...


... what would you do with it?


I would buy the old Paramount Theater in Marshall, Texas (which just happens to be for sale), rehab it back to its glory days, and show only my favorite movies, such as Gone With the Wind (1939), To Kill a Mockingbird (1962), Lawrence of Arabia (1962), Charade (1963), The Graduate (1967), Bonnie and Clyde (1967),  Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969), Easy Rider (1969), The Godfather (1974), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975), Sophie's Choice, (1982), Pulp Fiction (1994), Fargo (1996), Good Will Hunting, (1997), The Pianist (2000), The Italian Job (2003),  The Devil Wears Prada (2006), Bridesmaids (2011), Bernie (2011), Whiplash (2014) and at least 50 others.


I'd light up the marquee at night and serve free buttered popcorn and Milk Duds, or Junior Mints if you prefer.


Dreams, dreams.  But it would take a lot of money to fix all the water damage that's quite apparent even on the exterior.

What would you do with an old movie theater?

15 comments:

MadSnapper n Beau said...

i would do nothing with an old theater because i would not buy one. not sure what i would do if i had lots and lots and lots of money.. i loved The Devil wears Prada.. when watching the show on TV called you live in What? i have seen things i might like to live in but right now they are in the deep hole my memory has become

Paula said...

I would try to sell it and make more money. I never go to movie theaters.

Sharon said...

I think I'd switch between movies and live performances. Have it do double duty.
Is the movie "Russia House" in that list somewhere. That's one movie I've watched many, many times.

Stephanie said...

I would try to restore it and convert the theatre as an art gallery if possible. It appears to be still beautiful if it went to the right owner.

Judy said...

The last time I was in my old home town in Illinois, I was happy to see that the old theater that I went to in my youth was being fixed up and put back into use. Maybe someone will save this one.

TexWisGirl said...

that's a very nice dream - and a way to share with the community, too.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

It's a shame no one has brought it yet, but I bet it is probably going to be super expensive to make it code ready for people. Around here they turn those old theaters into jamborees. I love the old marque- beautiful!

Kate said...

Oh, please add Dr. Zhivago to your list. One in our neighborhood has been converted to a dance studio; must be cool inside. If I ad the money I would convert it to a community theatre that would cater to adolescents and children primarily.

Kate said...

PS. I also would encourage companies that cater to retired and older folks for their performances. I've been to a few of those performances and love 'em!

Randy said...

Beautiful old theater.

A Colorful World said...

It's so stunning! Sadly crumbling, but hopefully someone who will love it will bring it back to its former glory! My SIL & daughter (he's a chef, she a pastry chef) thought once how awesome it would be to buy and restore an old theatre like that and open it as a restaurant with classic movie themes....show Gone With the Wind, and serve all southern food; show It's a Wonderful Life and serve roast chicken (from the "honeymoon" scene) and bread and salt and wine on the side, with homestyle veggie sides; show Blue Hawaii and serve Hawaiian dishes...the possibilites are endless! :-) It's a great idea. I wish someone would do it!

Pauline said...

When you buy that old theatre I suggest you hire Marie C as a consultant. I like her ideas! I'm not tempted by old theatres. Old churches, that's another story.

EG CameraGirl said...

What a shame about the water damage! Good luck winning the lottery!

Unknown said...

I hope you win the Powerball!

Lara

Unknown said...

Kathy, I've watched all your favourite movies! Will you have me as your partner on the rehab of this fantastic theatre? :-))) I would love to see the interiors.