Saturday, February 12, 2011

All Aboard!

Texas & Pacific Depot
Marshall, Texas

Those of you who follow my blog will remember that a few weeks ago I took a road trip to Marshall, Texas, and one of the historic buildings I found there is this gorgeous abstracted renaissance turn of the century train depot.  Mediterranean details adorn the concrete overlayed with red brick structure.  In 1858 20 miles of track was laid from Marshall to Swanson's Landing on Caddo Lake as a connection to Red River steamboat traffic.  In 1871 the U.S. Congress authorized the Texas and Pacific railway to build a transcontinental railroad from Marshall to the West Coast along the 32nd parallel.  This passenger depot was built here in 1911.  A pedestrian tunnel underneath the tracks was added for safety in 1940.  Still an active station, you can catch the Texas Eagle in Marshall, go east to St. Louis, north to Chicago, south to San Antonio, and west to Los Angeles (with stops in Maricopa and Yuma, AZ!).  Maybe I'll check into a train ride for a trip back to visit in Phoenix!

8 comments:

Maia T said...

Great description, it's a beautiful building.

Magpie said...

It's a beautiful building and I like that idea of the train ride to Phoenix! :)

Suburban Girl said...

Beautiful, I love all those chimneys. I wonder what it is like inside.

Judy said...

Don't you just love these old depot buildings? Just beautiful.

Sharon said...

This building is such a fabulous structure. I just kept looking at all it's details in your photo. I bet a train ride back to here would prove to be very interesting.

I remember when I was a child all the stories my grandfather used to tell about riding the trains out west from Illinois to California. He worked for the Santa Fe railroad and had some amazing stories to tell us.

Randy said...

Wow that really is a beautiful building. Our little depot isn't that nice.

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful old station and I'm glad it's still being used! The architecture seems so southwestern to me.

Clif said...

Train stations and Tex Ritter - keep the great shots coming, Kathy!