One day this past week I met my Uncle Joe Buck in Douglass, Texas (about 15 miles west of Naconowhere) in search of the Goodman Bridge, one of the few remaining truss bridges in Texas which is still open to vehicular traffic. This 150-foot long pony truss bridge (meaning it has no overhead bracing) was built in 1921 and spans the Angelina River at the Nacogdoches/Cherokee county line. The last bridge inspection by the state rated it only 19 out of 100 due to the deteriorating understructure. The wooden floor and iron sides of the bridge are in good condition, however. The City of Nacogdoches has indicated its willingness to take the bridge and save it for historic purposes in Pecan Park in the event it is removed. Approximately 325 vehicles per day still use this bridge for travel.
If you ever go to Douglass (population 75), they have the Corner Store & Cafe and I highly recommend the cafe for a great lunch. Chicken fried steak with cream gravy and French fries for $6.95! Um-um good!
Saturday, February 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



14 comments:
Interesting bridge but I think I would be nervous traversing it in a car! It doesn't look like it has enough support for that much weight.
Cool bridge, but like Rebecca I would rather go across on foot!
I love old bridges!
Right now it looks a little scary. I love the way you have the photo colored.
nellie
Only 19 out of a possible 100...not such a good rating. It's a lovely bridge though. Greg and Nicole would definitely go for the chicken fried steak lunch! Great job on your color choice for these shots.
Wow that is an amazing old bridge. I can't remember the last time I had fried food. It's sounds like heaven.
I have really been enjoying your photos taken around your part of Texas. The old buildings are charming (as well as the old bridge). I would have a problem driving over that bridge - but it would be fun to walk across it!
You know what I love just about as much as pictures of cows? Pictures of bridges. Seriously. Great photos!
The second photo as you approach, the bridge looks pretty sturdy but, that side view scares me a little. I'm glad they will preserve it if they have to take it down.
Did you drive over it?
I would have to hold my breath all the way over that bridge. I do hope it is saved if it gets replaced.
Hmmm. Not sure how I'd feel about crossing this bridge...but take photos of it? OF COURSE!
Okay...now I'm hungry. :) Love these bridge photos...especially the last one.
Wow, what a bridge. I wonder if the vehicles that travel it daily ever think of the deterioration?
What does the color version look like? I am curious now.
Post a Comment