Crockett - Davy Crockett is said to have camped in this area on his way to the Alamo in 1835.
Alto ~ Spanish word for high. The settlement was named Alto because it was the highest point between the Neches and Angelina Rivers.
Rusk ~ Site of the nation's longest pedestrian bridge.
Bugscuffle ~ See below.
Mt. Enterprise ~ a town of 525 people defined by the intersection of two major highways. It has a convenience store that makes homemade donuts that taste EXACTLY like Crispy Creams. I stopped by there but luckily for me, at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, they were all sold out.
And now for Bugscuffle.
The Internet tells me there's several communities in Texas (as well as other states) called Bugscuffle but one should not confuse it with Bugtussle, a completely different place. This Bugscuffle was located in Rusk County between Rusk and Mt. Enterprise (the town of Rusk is not in Rusk County, however. It's in Cherokee County. More on that another day.) I saw the sign and pulled off the road (that's me up there on the right in that good-looking truck) to take the picture and try to figure out what was in Bugscuffle. As you can see, there is nothing as far as the eye can see in this direction.
So I turned around and looked back in the direction from which I came. Nothing there either. So what is in Bugscuffle?
Nothing. Just some pretty country and some really tall pine trees!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
I love that name. It seems like something you could incorporate into everyday speech like: What a bugscuffle that was, phew! Or what's all the bugscuffle about? Let's try it. It might show up in Webster's if it takes off!
What an interesting name!
Really interesting. So there is nothing in that area that could be Bugscuffle?
Interesting that there is a sign but now town. I have to say, I love Lara's comment above. I think I'll try to use the word sometime today.
I agree with Lara too! Let's make it a new word. Is that the "Leaving Bugscuffle" sign in front of your lovely truck? I fondly remember Bugtussle!!
I know you won't believe this, but this is the first time I've ever heard of Bugscuffle.
I bet it was once a community that is now long gone.
That's so funny!
Post a Comment