Sunday, June 13, 2010

Summer Rose 325/365



It's been a hectic day but luckily for me, whenever I need a last-minute picture I just stroll down the street a ways and take pictures of some of my neighbors' fabulous roses.  Many of you are surprised that such beautiful roses grow so well in the desert.  Well, that's a fact!  I don't know why but we manage to have roses blooming about 10 months of the year here and I think the low humidity helps the insect/disease factor.

Comments re past blogs: 
EGWOW - you seemed surprised that Mr. Alkire was an ostrich farmer.  There are still several ostrich farms in Arizona.  In fact, Chandler, a suburb of Phoenix, holds an annual ostrich festival!  Yes, ostrich meat is sold, but also ostrich oil and ostrich feathers.  In the early 1900s ostrich feathers were in much demand for boas, etc., for entertainers and fashionistas.  Maybe still so today!  Who knows?
Brenda:  I take your word it's a '54 Chevy pickup!  They don't make 'em like they used to, right?  Can you imagine driving the vehicle you own today 56 years from now?

6 comments:

Mari said...

What a beautiful rose! I love the color.

Magpie said...

This is beautiful...I can almost smell it's sweetness. Yes, when in doubt - flowers always work!!!

Autumn Belle said...

This rose is gorgeous. I so envy you. I live in the tropics, equatorial climate. It is difficult to grow roses.

Tracy said...

Another lovely flower picture you took!

EG CameraGirl said...

OH! A yellowish centre with a pink blush at the edges!

Maia T said...

Very beautiful rose macro.