Sunday, June 20, 2010
Merryman Funeral Home 332/265
George F. Merryman was born near Indianapolis in 1855. In 1891 he settled near Los Angeles where he took charge of a lemon orchard and later became involved in the undertaking business. He moved to Phoenix in 1899 and became a prominent businessman in the community and well-known as an undertaker. In 1909 his business was described as “the best of its kind in the state, being modern in all respects and having complete up-to-date equipment, including a chapel and auto hearse.” Merryman died in 1913 but his widow continued operating the business which was eventually located in this building, originally known as the Charles E. Palen house, constructed in 1937, 24 years after Mr. Merryman’s death. Most recently the Paulina Miller Gallery has occupied the building but that business is scheduled to close at the end of this month’s current exhibit.
This building has been placed on the City of Phoenix Historic Property Register.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
So many stories in the big city!
I like the windows and doors on this place. Too bad the gallery is going to close!
Oh I like seeing the whole building too. I was on the other blog first. I like how the windows and doors are the same in style.
Merryman...that's an unusual name of an undertaker. Wonderful building. Love the windows.
Post a Comment