Sunday, June 6, 2010

Luis Lugo's Bakery 318/365


The Luis Lugo Bakery was built in 1917 in what is now known as South Phoenix. It is one of the classic concrete block buildings that made their debut during this time period in the Southwest.


Luis Lugo came to Arizona in 1913 with his parents, who initially started a store in Glendale. In addition to the bakery, which was called La Pantallera, he operated a grocery store about five blocks from the bakery. The brick ovens in the bakery were built by Julian Gastelum, father of a local auto repair shop owner, Fabian Gastelum. The building was later owned by Italian bakers, eventually becoming Blunda’s Bakery. The grocery store in later years was operated by Luis’ daughter, Mary Lou Lugo Sandoval. Senor Lugo died in 1977 at the age of 79.

The bakery has been owned by a family for at least 30 years, although today it has graffiti on the front and is in great disrepair. The building is on the Phoenix Historic Preservation List.

This photograph is of the front of the building. For pictures of the opposing side and what I believe to be the Lugo family home, please go to FKH PHOTO JOURNAL.

Today's temperature:  109 F/42.77 C

COMMENTS
Magpie:  The farmers market opens at 7 a.m. starting in June (8 a.m. before June).  Yes, Crooked Sky Farms has a booth.  Their tomatoes are wonderful although they haven't had any ripe ones yet.

T. Becque:  Thank you for the info on 100 Strangers.  As soon as my 365 project is complete I think I'll try that.

6 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

I enjoyed reading this until I read today's temperature. Oh my goodness, Kathy! I guess you stayed indoors. :)

Magpie said...

How sad to see this building being so badly treated. You are a brave girl to go a wandering in this heat. I want to hear about 100 Strangers too...sounds interesting.

T. Becque said...

Your quite welcome for the information. Happy to help. I'm still scared approaching strangers, I'm told it gets easier and addicting. We'll see!
I like old buildings like this, this one has some great history.

Glenda said...

Interesting building, especially the bricks.

109 degrees . . . and I thought it was hot here in the upper 90's!

Michelle said...

Too bad the building is marked up by graffiti. I think it would look good in a bright pink color. :)

Suburban Girl said...

Interesting to know the history of these places. You have so much history about you.