Sunday, June 28, 2015

Victoria County Courthouse (Texas No. 57)


The Victoria County Courthouse in Victoria, Texas, has been retired since the 1960s, having been replaced by a more modern structure in 1967.  It had been slated for demolition but was saved due to overwhelming support from local citizens, but it sat crumbling and further deteriorating for 30 years until those same citizens decided it was time to do something about it.  Through private donations, a bond issue, and local inmate labor, the nearly $6 million renovation was completed and the courthouse rededicated in 2001.  It has been named one of the ten favorite courthouses in the state.

Constructed:  1892
Architectural style:  Romanesque Revival
Architect:  James Riely Gordon
Materials:  Blue Muldoon sandstone and limestone according to one source or Texas granite and Indiana limestone according to another

Victoria is a beautiful community of 62,000 people.  It is known as the Golden Crossroads due to its location within a two-hour drive of Corpus Christi, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin.  It was established in 1824 and is named for General Guadalupe Victoria, the first president of independent Mexico.

Over the next few days I will feature some of the sights which can seen in the city.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Another great piece of the late 19th century architecture! Really wonderful!

TexWisGirl said...

really beautiful. well worth saving!

Kate said...

It is an impressive structure and so good that it has been refurbished. How is it being see now?

Kate said...

"How is it being used now?" I really, really dislike automatic correction!!

EG CameraGirl said...

The architecture is is handsome made even nicer by the colours of the stone.

Judy said...

Good heavens! They went all out on that one. It seems each county it trying to outdo the next one. I can't even imagine anyone wanting to demolish such an amazing work of art. Thank goodness it was saved.

Paula said...

I have distant relatives who live in Victoria, but have only been there one time. Don't remember much about the town, but that court house is beautiful.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I can't wait to see the rest of the city.. glad they saved this old beauty

Sharon said...

Oh my, this is a stunning building. Thank heavens it was saved from the rubbish heap. Kathy, are you going to create a book on all of these county courthouses? You should.

Stephanie said...

A beautiful building. Nice to see it was saved.

Randy said...

I like the big windows.

Suburban Girl said...

Terrific image. I love that sky.

Celestina Marie said...

Once again you captured a great photo. Beautiful setting and wonderful it was saved.
cm