Tuesday, June 16, 2015
The Master Architect of Nacogdoches
Although I don't live in Nacogdoches, it is my county seat and my go-to place for everything other than the local dollar store, beauty shop, and bank. When the nearest community is only 898 people, one needs to find a place to buy groceries, go to the doctor/dentist, library and other amenities that those of you who live in cities take for granted. Therefore I've become very attached to this oldest town in Texas for its significance in the state's independence back in 1836, its rich and colorful past, and the mere fact that it was the earliest known settlement in this part of the world.
The above sculpture was made possibly by the Friends of Historic Nacogdoches, the seventh such artwork of notable persons who called this old town their home. Dietrich A.W. Rulfs was a German-born architect who was responsible for designing many of the historic homes and commercial buildings in this community between the years 1879 and 1926, thereby transforming the frontier town into a modern city.
The bronze sculpture sits in front of Rulfs' most notable work, the Roland Jones House, only one block from downtown, which was built in 1896-1897. The late Victorian residence was commissioned by Mr. and Mrs. H.P. Matthews for their daughter and her husband, Roland Jones. Matthews was a railroad executive and Jones a businessman.
Today the beautifully restored mansion is home to a local bed and breakfast. If you would like to see the inside rooms and read a more detailed history of the family who lived here for four generations, you can visit the B and B website.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




12 comments:
I just love the mansion, maybe that bronze architect can build me one too.
i love that B and B and would like to stay there. the statue is wonderful, the artist very talented... at this time in my life i am gla we live in the city, but would love to have lived like you described when i was younger.
wow, that home!!! what a unique sculpture! but i like it.
Luv B&Bs. I'd try this one. Top floor. one of those turret windows, please.
A gorgeous home and what a perfect sculpture. I wouldn't mind a stay at the B&B.
It is indeed a beautiful mansion! Painting it would be quite an undertaking. . .and expensive. The sculpture is strong but at the same time it gives a feeling of warmth.
Great sculpture and even nicer house! Lovely images.
Gorgeous architecture, a great place for the statue for an architect of such fine homes.
Goodness- that is a beautiful place..looks to be well taken care of, too. Love all the trim. I am like you- we don't really live in a town though. I have to go a few miles to get to the grocery and all that, but I love being out in the country.
Beautiful home.
That's an interesting statue. I like the way he's posed so that he looks like he's working on the project.
An impressive monument to a wonderful contributor to the beautiful new town and the house is amazing! Would love to stay in the B&B some time!
Post a Comment