Thursday, June 4, 2015
The Beauty at High Hill
St. Mary's is considered the queen of the painted churches. And you can see why. A massive year-long restoration of the artistry was accomplished in 2011.
Birdman asked if there are any Lutheran churches in Texas. Yes, Birdman, there are, but between 70 and 90 percent of the Czech immigrants were of the Catholic faith.
Czechs began immigrating to Texas in the 1850s and immigration continued until after the turn of the century. They came primarily from Bohemia, Moravia, and Austrian Silesia because of the abundant availability of good, cheap farmland and the Czechs and Germans were instrumental in establishing the heartland of Texas. By the turn of the century over 250 Czech communities had been established. Today there are 200,000 Czech Texans, over 13,000 who still speak Czech dialects.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




15 comments:
Pretty but a little busy for my taste.
This shows why she's the Queen. I would love to visit this church, but I would be afraid I'd spend more time looking up and around then listening to the sermon. On second thought that might be a good thing. GRIN.
Wow, that did not disappoint. What a truly beautiful church.
i thought along the same lines as birdman, never get bored during church in this church.. i might get smacked for staring up or snapping photos.. it is amazing art.
This is a remarkable church. One could remain in the interior for a long time checking out all the details. Your info on the Czechs initially surprised me but I am interested and happy that you have provided so much of their history in Texas for us. Loved your comments on my blog today about space and gardening. A little space, a little garden and little work. Good motto, huh?!
my father's family came from bohemia and settled in another czech area in minnesota, then moved to central wisconsin a few years later. :)
this is a gorgeous one!!!
It's like one huge work of art that you can walk into! Thank you, Kathy, for showing us this beauty.
What lovely photos!
There is a beautiful big Lutheran church in down town San Antonio, Saint John's My husband's family are members there.
Holy cow, I didn't know that. Interesting history of immigration to Texas. You photos are excellent!
Wow. I'd spend the whole church service staring at the ceiling!
Very elaborate and colourful. I'm amazed that Czech dialects have survived all this time!
The roof is fantastic!
What a glorious church! A huge credit to the congregation that keep it so well maintained. It's a feast for the eyes, I love it.
It is a beautiful church! The ceiling is gorgeous. Lovely photos! Happy Sunday!
Post a Comment