Crinum Lily
This beautiful Southern heirloom lily was a gift to my mother a number of years back from her oldest niece, Ray Nell. Mother had remarked on an occasion that it had never bloomed. My cousin died suddenly last February and of course Mother went to her final resting place last fall. This week the lily started blooming. It's absolutely beautiful. She had planted it up by our road on the edge of turn-in to the driveway. I suppose the real reason it decided to bloom this year was because of all our rains over the past six months. The spot she chose is too far away from the nearest water spigot to be able to water it during dry times. It's a very common plant in the South and thrives here because of the heat and the amount of humidity. I would love to take it back to Arizona with me when I return but it belongs here.
* * * * *
SOUTHERN NAMES
Don't you just love those two-word, languid names that once were so prevalent in the South? My cousin Ray Nell had one of those names. She was the oldest of four girls and I suppose Aunt Lillian and Uncle Huey were dreaming of a boy as their first child and back in those days everyone took pot luck with what might be coming on that birth day. And for 82 years she was known as Ray Nell, not Ray, not Nell or Nellie, or some nickname.
I had another cousin whose real name, swear to God, was Bob Wayne. Well, that's not so unusual you might say. Come on, HER name was Bob Wayne. She was called Bob Wayne but as time went on and she moved to the city she became known as Bobbie. Of course, she just moved further into the South to Louisiana so the geographic location probably didn't have anything to do with the name evolution.
I went to school with two sisters who were both named Barbara. I guess that was their mother's favorite name. They were close in age and were distinguished by their middle names and they were called Barbara Ann and Barbara Allen (yes, her middle name was spelled A-l-l-e-n). In later years she was just called Sister. Of course back in those days there were no Jennifers, Stephanies, Tiffanies, Kathys, Brendas, Lindas, Melindas, Belindas.
Then there's the names for the boys. I have a cousin whose name is Jimmie Ray (not Jimmy) and what do we call him? Jimmie Ray, of course. What else? Then we've all heard of Billy Bob, Johnny Mack, My mother's youngest brother's name is Joe Buck. The story is my grandmother's neighbor named him. I guess after seven kids she just couldn't come up with another name, or maybe because she had five girls she just didn't know any middle names for boys.
My neighbor's name is Howard Lee. If anyone ever called him Howard, we wouldn't know who they were talking about. My dad's name was Howell Bennie. Howell is sort of a neat name, unusual, but Bennie? Ever known anyone named Bennie? Anyone who ever called him by his first name usually called him Hal because -- well, just because. He spent most of his life with a various nicknames, Shorty and Bucky being the most common.
Nicknames are a whole 'nother story. We won't even go there. But what's your favorite memory of names and the person they belonged to? Isn't it weird how our name eventually becomes part of the fabric of our lives? Can you even imagine calling your best friend Christina something like Kate or Joyce? What if your son changed his name from Jeff to Wilson? Huh? It just doesn't work, does it?


10 comments:
growing up in KY there were many with doulbe names, but in Savannah i don't remember any with double names that were in my circle of friends. half the girls in school were either Sandra or Sandy... real popular back in the 40's when mother named me.
the names that are odd to me are the ones being chosen for girls now. my cousin little girl is Harper, my friends daughter is Madison and my other friend has a girl named Carter...
(i kind of like the trend to use surnames as first names). :)
in texas, it seems to be the norm to give someone first and last names, but then they go by their middle name. i've met SO many folks here who do that. my next door neighbor AND her husband both did that. many others i worked with did that. i found it rather interesting.
loved the lily. so sweet it finally bloomed.
Wow, I love this post. That is quite an assortment of names you've told us about. The people I grew up all seemed to have common names like Barbara, Martha, Anita and Sue or Susie. However, my mother had an unusual name. She always went by Maxine but I didn't learn until I was 16 or so that her real name was Alta Maxine. She hated the name Alta so refused to have anyone call her that. Her mother also had an unusual name, Leara. I just did a quick Google search for origins of that name and came up with nothing. Most sites had some kind of meaning listed (which all looked pretty much made up to me) but only one site listed and origin of Australia. I can't imagine that my grandmother was given a name from Australia but maybe that's true. What an interesting subject!
I think it's nice that the lily bloomed for you to see. It's lovely.
Growing up in what was called the mid-west, there weren't many people with double names. I knew a few who always used their first and last names together though. I am also confused by some of the names that are given to children today. I know a family that has three kids, Garrison and Gunnison are the boys and Gatlin is the girl.
There was a dining car set up in Williams Saturday and they had a couple of ladies who were Harvey Girls way back in the fifties wearing the costumes they wore back then. They had displays of the china that was used throughout the years. It was fun to see. I was going to add another picture to my post but blogger wouldn't let me upload another one for some reason.
Lovely lily and how strange the weather was perfect this year for it to bloom.
My childhood friends had ordinary names: Kathy, Joey, Jean, Martha, Ellen, Emily, another Kathy, Cecelia, Anne, Sandra, Frankie (Frances)... The strangest name was Henrietta who was named after her dad, Henry.
I went to grade school with Billie Jean, Jimmie Nell, Freddie Mae Bobbie Lee, and Bobbie Lou. My senior year it was Pauline (me), Nellene, Charlene. and Ilene. Now people I know are naming their girls different names like Haley and Sydney.
Those make me sneeze like crazy.
My grandmother had a male friend who was a friend of the family, his name was Mr. Car. A friend of my day's, his last name was Bone. Yes I met quite a few people with odd names during my lifetime. Great post today!
Names and naming are fascinating to recall. My mother and her sister were both Mary Ann, but my mother was always known as Josephine, her middle name. My aunt, her sister, was simply called Mary. Go figure! It does make genealogy work difficult and confusing. If I were you, I would take the plant with me!
Names are so interesting and how they are used either my first, middle or last name. I was named after my grandmother Celestina, but my mother shortened it to Celeste when I started school. I suppose she thought it would be easier for a little girl. Now I wish she had not done this but I understand. I use Celestina Marie for my blog now and to honor my grand.
The lily is gorgeous. Love the color.
cm
Post a Comment