Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Post Office Murals - 9 (Brady, Texas)


Another reason for stopping in Brady was to see the Post Office mural.  It's called Texas Immigrants and was painted in 1939 by Gordon Grant.  It portrays a group of early day settlers into this area of the state who have turned to view a band of Indian hunters pursuing buffalo across the landscape.  Artists who were commissioned for murals for the nation's post offices were given no funds for travel expenses, and Grant, who lived in Santa Barbara, California, could not afford to travel to Texas to research the area in order to choose an appropriate subject.  Instead, he relied upon library research of the Brady area and his own correspondence with the local postmaster, and his mural was accepted by the community as one of incredible authenticity.  He received $620 for his effort.

15 comments:

Birdman said...

Post Offices seem to always have historic murals within. Our does too.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

cowboys and long horns are my favorite subject

Sharon said...

Another beautiful mural. That seems like such a small amount of money but I guess at the time it was substantial.

Judy said...

That was a good sum of money back then. He did a nice job.

TexWisGirl said...

really neat.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Beautiful mural! I think the money he made was a nice sum for the time.

Paula said...

I like it.

Anonymous said...

One post office not far from me have people murals. Still have to get a chance to look it up what the meaning of those people are. Who are they. What purpose why they are displayed.

Very attractive your Post office Mural.

DeniseinVA said...

This is such a beautiful mural Kathy. Thank you so much for visiting my blog while I was away. I hope your week is going well.

Suburban Girl said...

The vibrant colors are wonderful!

Randy said...

That's a nice one.

Stephanie said...

This is a cool mural. I really like it a lot!

EG CameraGirl said...

How fascinating the artist was from so far away!

Kate said...

Truly a dedicated artist!

Celestina Marie said...

Love this mural. Perfectly Texas!!