Friday, June 5, 2015
Newton County Courthouse (Texas No. 53)
"People stood around the square all night crying and consoling each other. That courthouse means a great deal to Newton. It's where we saw our boys off to war and where we had community celebrations. We mark our time by the clock tower striking." So said one of the residents of Newton, Texas, in August of 2000 after a catastrophic electrical fire in the attic gutted the 1902 Newton County Courthouse. All that remained were the outer walls and a few interior walls on the first floor. The building sat abandoned for six years until restoration work began, being made possible by grants from the Texas Historical Commission and other donations totaling $6 million.
Newton County is the easternmost of Texas' 254 counties. The county seat, Newton, has a population around 2500 and is the only incorporated town in the county. Newton is 18 miles west of Merryville, Louisiana, 100 miles southeast of where I live near Garrison, 150 miles northeast of Houston, and 893 miles east of El Paso.
Something whacko just happened on this post. This post was scheduled for tomorrow but when it published this morning it seems to be combined with the post that was scheduled for today! I must have somehow put the same date for the scheduling info so today you get two at no charge and there won't be another one tomorrow! I am going to be out of town next week and I've been trying to to schedule something for each of the days of my absence. Here it is Friday, I haven't even left yet and I've already screwed up!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
I can't tell you how many times i have done the two in one day by accident. i did it yesterday, but pulled it back, so some saw it and some will see it again... crying over a courthouse?
I've done that with posts before and fortunately I've caught it before it's posted. I've also tried to pre-post and then forgot to set the date and it posts immediately. I can't tell you how many times I've had to delete a post and start over. Have a safe journey.
yup, a two-fer kinda day from you! glad they restored this one!
Texas sure is large. Maine has but 16 counties. In the Maine history course in 8th grade, you better have 'em memorized, located and colored on your map. Our courthouses are few and far between too. Life is simple here.
I can understand how sad it must have been to see this place destroyed by fire. In a small town it must be a landmark and gathering place as is the one here in Prescott.
Happy travels!
Blogger is just having a bit of fun with you, Kathy!
I can understand why the local citizens would be upset! This is a very important landmark for certain people.
This has happened to me in the past too. It is a nice landmark, appreciate reading the history behind it. Have a good trip!
I like that shade of yellow.
Another beauty! I'm so glad the fire didn't destroy the whole building so it could have been restored.
Hi Katby, what a beautiful court house. How sad to be destroyed. I can understand the community. Your photo is a treasure.
Hugs cm
You have lots of company when posting erroneously is concerned. Another wonderful Texas building, obviously beloved by the residents of the town.
Post a Comment