Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Iris


We had some beautiful bearded irises growing along our fence lines this spring.  Most of my mother's iris were the traditional purple and yellow, although she had a few hybrid varieties, and I had sent her rhizomes from my iris in Phoenix a number of years back.  None of those bloomed this year.  I'm sure they were varieties which grow best in dryer conditions and there were few dry days in Texas this spring.  I can't tell you the names of any of her iris but if you like flowers, I'm sure you will appreciate these without their names.

The flower above is a frilly pale lavender specimen.


This one is even a paler lavender.


And this pale peach-colored beauty belonged to my grandmother, an avid gardener who has been gone for 44 years.  I'm so happy some of her flowers still exist today.  It's not so fancy or frilly as the flowers we see hybridized these days but I love it's beautiful, muted color and it's very tall, standing well above the other plants in its garden setting.


The bright orange portion on this plant is the beard.

12 comments:

MadSnapper n Beau said...

that beard up close is wonderful.. they are so pretty

TexWisGirl said...

that is so neat that the heritage blooms keep coming back year after year! really neat to have that family connection each spring.

love the soft frilly quality of them.

Sharon said...

Gorgeous blooms! I do love iris!

Kate said...

How wonderful that you have plants that you trace to members of your family. I like Georgia O'Keeffe's concentration of detail in single plants, and your iris photos really emphasize the same method of looking closely to really SEE.

Judy said...

My favorite flower! I love the peach one. I have yellow, blue and purple but no peach. I find that the hybrids are harder to maintain over the years.

Anonymous said...

Oh how Photogenic beautiful are these Irish blooms. Wow!

Mersad said...

Flowers are the best subjects. So much color and vibrancy in them. These are great.

Randy said...

These are beautiful.

Stephanie said...

Lovely irises!

A Colorful World said...

They are so beautiful! I've always loved iris. Love the macro shot.

EG CameraGirl said...

WOW! Gorgeous irises!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! That last one looks like a Georgia O'Keefe!

Lara