Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Historic Victoria - Part 1


St. Mary's is the second oldest Catholic Church in Texas (the oldest is the San Fernando Cathedral in San Antonio which I had the privilege of seeing and photographing last December), having been established in 1840.


In 1866 five sisters from a group of nuns in Brownsville came to Victoria and established a convent called  the Monastery of Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament after their original order in Lyons, France, and one year later opened a school which eventually became known as the Nazareth Academy .  Today the school is in more modern quarters behind this building.  The Academy attained high school status in the early 1900s,  now has students K through 8th grade and is one of the oldest Catholic schools in the state.  This building was constructed in 1904 and is next door to St. Mary's about one block south of DeLeon Plaza.


Three blocks from the courthouse sits this beautifully detailed Queen Anne house, built by Joseph D. Mitchell in 1893.  Mitchell was a successful rancher, civic leader, legislator and naturalist who also enjoyed national recognition as a conchologist and entomologist.  The house eventually became a mortuary after the death of Mitchell and his wife and in 2009 it underwent a complete restoration and now serves as office suites for several local businesses.


I know nothing about this beautiful home and simply took the photo because of its beauty with the gated drive, wrought iron fence, and luscious pink azaleas which were in full bloom at the time of my visit to Victoria.


Next door to the Mitchell House was this house with a very unusual "spider web" door.  The house was very pretty but my eye was drawn to the doorway and I didn't take any other photos.  My research later revealed that originally it belonged to Thomas D. O'Connor, a legendary cattle king who lived in Victoria. It is still occupied by descendants of the original owner.

TOMORROW:  Historic Victoria - Part 2

11 comments:

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I like all the buildings especailly the old home now as offices. the spider door is nothing i would want on my house

Sharon said...

It looks like a lot of the same stone used on the courthouse was used on that school and church. That house that is now offices is stunning. I had to look up the word 'conchologist'. I don't believe I've ever heard that before.

Judy said...

All of these pictures evoke thoughts of how life once was in this old town. I find the spider web door a bit odd. The light in the window on the second floor of the Mitchell house draws me in. It must have been fun walking around and exploring this town.

The Grand Canyon Railroad saved the town of Williams. Now there is talk of putting in a Six Flags amusement park there, by the interstate. I'm not sure how I feel about that. There is also talk about putting in a traffic light.

Stephanie said...

Lovely old buildings! The spider door is interesting. I adore the Queen Anne house. My kind of style with the turret.

Birdman said...

What buildings! Some staggering beauty seen here. Stephen King would love that spidery door.

EG CameraGirl said...

Lovely old architecture...but that spider on the front door doesn't seem very welcoming. :)

Unknown said...

Great set of wonderful architecture shots! Also love the cobweb door. Pretty cool.

TexWisGirl said...

beautiful properties!

Randy said...

Love that church.

Kate said...

Interesting that Nazareth Academy is located on Church Street.

A Colorful World said...

Beautiful architecture, and wonderful history! I regret we never made it to Victoria when we were living in Texas. Beautiful place!

I will continue with your posts tomorrow or the next day....have company coming. But I am SOOO behind with everyone!