Thursday, February 12, 2015

Jasper Mural


A few Sundays ago I decided to take a short road trip to Jasper, about 96 miles from here (yes, that's a short distance when you live in Texas), to photograph its 1889 courthouse and the post office mural painted in 1938.  Sundays are usually good days for both these photo ops, one, because there are generally few, if any, vehicles, parked around courthouses on Sundays, and, two, there aren't any people in the post offices but the murals are always in the public area of the post office, which is open 24 hours a day.  Did I just say "always"?  Would you believe that the Jasper post office mural is behind the teller area in the locked portion of the post office?  And would you further believe that I arrived in Jasper right at high noon when the sun was at its most glaring and every angle to photograph the courthouse was just not the right place for the glare of the day?  I spent some time checking out the the small town (population 8,000), having lunch at a local cafe (pretty good chicken fried steak and fried okra but not the best I've ever had) but the lighting conditions simply did not change and when I returned home that evening my computer conveyed my sentiments that my photos were just not good enough to even bother.  Don't you hate days like that?  After a 200-mile round-trip day I came home with few worthy photos but chalked it up to experience.  I couldn't move the building, I couldn't change the weather and the lighting conditions, and I couldn't unlock the post office door to see the mural, but I did find a pretty decent mural in town that I felt I could share.

Painted on the side of a building on a corner in the downtown area I found this mural which lives on the wall of a former pharmacy/now a medical supply company in this little town.


It certainly reminded me of a Norman Rockwell painting.  And the day wasn't an entire waste.  I went on to a neighboring town which had a cute little courthouse and then an even smaller town where I found the best mural I've ever seen.  I'll be showing you those in days to come.  And I suppose someday when I have some free other (other than a weekend day) I'll travel back to Jasper to take a photo of its historic courthouse and the post office mural.

8 comments:

Sharon said...

I've had that happen many times. Sometimes it's on really long trips. I do like this mural a lot and you are right it does have a Rockwell look.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

this mural is beautiful, so much detail to be on a wall... high noon is not good for photos anytime.. glad you got pics at the next town.. now you have an excuse to drive there again, as if you need one. LOL

Judy said...

That is a nice mural and I'm looking forward to seeing what else you found.

Amy Burzese said...

Never say never or always. lol You got some great shots anyway. Looking forward to seeing more. Safe travels.

TexWisGirl said...

not a waste of a day at all, but sad you couldn't get to the post office mural!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Not a waste- but I do know your disappointment..it seems I am always arriving when the sun is at the wrong angle. This is a neat mural.

Randy said...

Love the Bulldog.

EG CameraGirl said...

Sadly, I've had some frustrating days like that, too. But I'd say the Rockwell-like mural turned out very well!