A Texas Ranger apprehending two bandits who have stopped under an oak tree to divide their loot is the subject of Minette Teichmueller's mural painted for the Smithville, Texas, post office in 1939. The bad guys have their hands raised in surrender, probably in awe of being found by one of the elite Texas law enforcement officers.
After receiving the commission for the mural, Ms. Teichmueller could find no subject of local interest, even though it is believed that she was born and raised in La Grange, only 20 miles from Smithville. She finally settled on a piece depicting the legendary Texas Rangers feeling confident that the subject would attract wide interest. In a press release she was quoted as saying, "Texas Rangers are still known throughout the world for their cool courage and deadly aim." I'm sure she would be pleased to know that 45 years after her death in 1970 that the Rangers continue to be held in high esteem.
Ms. Teichmueller died in Nacogdoches, the county seat of the county in which I presently reside, in 1970. She received the sum of $670 for her mural in 1939.
Smithville is a lovely small town 45 miles southeast of Austin, 120 miles west of Houston, and 314 miles north of Scissors, Texas, on the Mexican border.
(Historical information
for this post has been taken directly from The Texas Post Office Murals by
Philip Parisi.)




15 comments:
all things western and cowboys on horses are what i love and this includes the Texas Rangers..
This is a great mural and beautifully painted and maintained.
Post Officies are fond of historical murals. Ours has them too.
Nice one. I thought it was John Wayne at first sight.
how very cool.
It looks like the old west. A nice find!
Your murals remind me that I need to check out the M murals you identified earlier. I repeat, you do a great job with history and background.
Hard to believe she couldn't find any subject of interest of in that area. The mural definitely gives the post office an historic feel. Nice find!
Yep, even I have heard of the famous Texas Rangers!
Thanks for reminding me that I need to check local post offices for murals. So many of them are modern building now though. I wanted to tell you too, that Vicksburg has a whole string of murals along a sea wall of sorts. There is probably near 30 or them.
What a great mural, Kathy! Thanks for the history of it. I like the ruins in your previous post.
If I quit blogging I would miss all your great photos and history!
Loved Smithville! This is an awesome mural I wish I had known was there...I would have checked it out!
These are the cleanest criminals I've ever seen. Love your building shots.
Super photos of this wonderful mural Kathy, and thank you for adding a little about the artist which I always find interesting.
This mural Kathy is spectacular.
Post a Comment